Cool Footage of Steam Airplane

In summary, the conversation discusses the enjoyment of music and the cool feature of engine reversal. The conversation also mentions a thread about reversing gears in a steam engine and provides examples of different ways to reverse a steam engine using valve gear. The links provided show more information on the topic but may not work on all types of computers.
BadBrain
Here 'tis:

Enjoy! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Love the music!
Engine reveral was a neat feature.

256bits said:
Love the music!
Engine reveral was a neat feature.

That's a point I wanted to make on another thread started by some guy who had a question about reversing gears, but I couldn't find the thread. I wanted to use this as an example of an engine that doesn't require a reversing gear in the drive train, as reverse action in a steam engine can be generated just by stopping the engine, clearing out any live steam from the piston, and then redirecting the initial live steam input into the HP cylinder valve opening opposite that which takes the initial input for forward operation. On my model steam engine (a Wilesco D456), I accomplish this simply by closing the main steam stop until the engine shuts down, and then reopening it and then manually spinning the flywheel in the direction opposite that required for forward motion.

Last edited:
Nice find!

What is a steam airplane?

A steam airplane is a type of aircraft that uses steam as its primary source of propulsion instead of traditional jet engines. It was first developed in the 1930s and saw limited use during World War II.

How does a steam airplane work?

A steam airplane works by heating water in a boiler, which produces steam. The steam is then directed into a turbine, which powers the propeller and allows the airplane to fly. The steam is also used to power the controls and other systems on the airplane.

What are the advantages of a steam airplane?

One of the main advantages of a steam airplane is its low operating costs. Since steam is a readily available and cheap source of energy, it can be more cost-effective than traditional jet fuel. Steam airplanes also have a slower cruising speed, making them ideal for shorter distance flights.

What are the disadvantages of a steam airplane?

One major disadvantage of a steam airplane is its limited speed and range. Steam is not as efficient as jet fuel, so steam airplanes cannot travel as fast or as far as traditional jet-powered aircraft. Additionally, steam airplanes require a longer runway for takeoff and landing, making them less practical for use in certain locations.

Are steam airplanes still used today?

No, steam airplanes are not used in commercial aviation today. They were largely replaced by jet-powered aircraft in the mid-20th century due to their limited speed and range. However, there are still a few steam airplanes in existence and some are used for recreational purposes.