Cool Geology Pics - Share Yours Here!

In summary, the photographer took photos of rock layers that were overturned and bent, which are indicative of tectonic processes.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here is one I found on Twitter:

Please add others!

• Wow
  • Love
Likes Klystron, Ivan Seeking, diogenesNY and 6 others
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Ruin marble. I've seen this particularly atmospheric example in the Natural History Museum in London.

Likes DennisN, DaveE and BillTre
Water depth in SF Bay Area. You get 0 bonus points for finding the San Andreas Fault.

1-1.jpg

Likes Klystron, pinball1970 and BillTre
DaveE said:
Water depth in SF Bay Area.
Link to source? I'm trying to figure out what the color codes mean...

berkeman said:
Link to source? I'm trying to figure out what the color codes mean...
Sorry it's a really old picture from my HDD. But a nautical chart will tell you what you want to know. Anyway, as a sailor in the bay I can guarantee that blue is deep, red is shallow, and green is in between.

BillTre said:

Please add others!

The twitter post contained a link to a gallery with more amazing photos of volcanoes (including volcanic lightning) by the same photographer (Takehito Miyatake).

Warmly (or maybe hotly 🙂) recommended:

http://www.take-miyatake.com/gallery/sakurajima.html

Likes Ivan Seeking, BillTre, DaveE and 1 other person
BillTre said:

I love volcanic lightning ... partly because of my love for all things storms
the process for generating eruption lightning is just the same as for a thunderstorm
namely charge separation between particles in either the ash cloud or raindrops/ice crystals, respectively.

The Taal Volcano in Luzon, Philippines. I have been out to the island in the centre of the crater a couple of times.
but, fortunately, not during an eruption like this .....

200112 Taal Volcano, Phils 3.jpg

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and BillTre
This fits with "cool geological images" IMO. This picture was taken about 4 years ago on a backpack trip in the SE part of Olympic National Park. It shows seabed layers upended by about 70 degrees. The current geology thinking holds that the Olympics were formed when an island arc, Siletzia, was too large to comfortably slide into the trench that defined the boundary between the ocean floor plate and the North American plate. There are many places in the Olympics with rock layers contorted as seen in this picture. In some places, the layers got upended past the vertical, and then partially bent back down, making a U shape.
IMG_1207.JPG

The lake in this basin is named Lake of the Angels.

• Love
Likes Klystron, DeBangis21, davenn and 7 others
Mark44 said:
his fits with "cool geological images" IMO. This picture was taken about 4 years ago on a backpack trip in the SE part of Olympic National Park. It shows seabed layers upended by about 70 degrees.

very cool

I have some photos I took in the Canadian Rockies in 2019 that also show some crazy tectonic processes
when I get a chance i will post some
Also saw/photo'ed some cool basalt lava columns in Iceland a couple of weeks ago

1. What is the purpose of sharing cool geology pics?

The purpose of sharing cool geology pics is to showcase the beauty and diversity of geological formations and processes. It also allows for the exchange of knowledge and appreciation for the Earth's natural wonders.

2. Can anyone share their own cool geology pics?

Yes, anyone can share their own cool geology pics as long as they follow the guidelines set by the platform or community where the pics are being shared. It is important to give proper credit and obtain permission if the pics are not originally taken by the person sharing them.

3. Are there any specific types of geology pics that are preferred?

No, there is no specific type of geology pic that is preferred. As long as the pic is related to geology and showcases something interesting or unique, it can be shared. This can include pictures of rocks, minerals, fossils, landforms, and geological processes.

4. How can sharing geology pics benefit the scientific community?

Sharing geology pics can benefit the scientific community by providing visual evidence of geological phenomena and helping to spark curiosity and interest in the field. It can also facilitate discussions and collaborations among scientists, leading to further research and discoveries.

5. Can sharing geology pics have a positive impact on the general public?

Yes, sharing geology pics can have a positive impact on the general public by increasing awareness and understanding of the Earth and its processes. It can also inspire people to appreciate and protect the environment and encourage them to learn more about geology and science in general.