Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cool LateX tricks

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1
    I am new at the forums and still getting used to writing in Latex. I found that it is easier for me to write my LateX in this editor:

http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

and then copy to the physics forum.

So, I wanted to ask you guys, do you know any other tricks you want to share to make LateX seem easier? For example if i want to say 3 little things in LateX do I need to write
    (itex) 1(/itex) bla bla (itex) 2(/itex) bla bla (itex) 3(/itex)
    or is there a shortcut to "stop the lateX"?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2
    Thank you for showing me that. I've talked myself out of asking certain questions because of the extremely tedious latex that went along with it.

4. Mar 31, 2013 #3
    Thanks for posting! I have tried using LaTex in some of my posts and ended up not posting because I just couldn't get it the way I wanted it.

Thanks again.

5. Mar 31, 2013 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start with this:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

After getting used to it, [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] comes pretty naturally and isn't tedius at all. As a matter of fact, it's much easier and quicker than writing equation using the superscript and subscript buttons (i.e. X2 and X2).

Note that you don't need to repeatedly keep putting the (itex) (/itex) tags for every symbol. One set of tags will do for the whole thing.

(tex) \oint_s \vec E \cdot d \vec A = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} (/tex)
    [tex] \oint_s \vec E \cdot d \vec A = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

Oh, and another thing. The "itex" tag is for inline LaTeX, such as [itex] \oint_s \vec E \cdot d \vec A = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} [/itex], where the LaTeX is displayed as part of the paragraph, and some symbols get re-sized to be smaller. The "tex" tag puts the equations on their own lines, as used above.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  6. Mar 31, 2013 #5
  7. Mar 31, 2013 #6
    Thanks! That will be useful!

I didn't knew the (tex) command just the (itex), I think (tex) is better!

8. Mar 31, 2013 #7
    I just use Daum Equation editor on Chrome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook