Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Cool little page on winglets

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Re: Winglets

I don't have time to read it right now either, but that's a cool link. Thanks, Cyrus.

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3

I have read it before, and most the site too, plus i own the book.

There is similar information in the airbus 319/20/21 documentation too, but there winglets are a little different, and i have never read which one works better if any?

There are some great testing videos from boeing on the research, they fitted winglets to B727 and B707and flew it through some sort of smoke rig.

I am sure i have seen some other footage too of normal wings going through the same rig, and that was a Mil Boeing, KC-135 i think.

When i was young i noticed a B727 with winglets and thought it was some sort of coolness statement, years later i realised what they was really there for.

Here is another link that i have read too, more reading...

http://www.aviationpartnersboeing.com/news/pdf/news/AT69winglets.pdf [Broken]

http://www.enviro.aero/blog/2008/09/the-wind-beneath-our-winglets.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Mar 26, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Stopping mechanics falling off the ends of the wings :wink:

6. Mar 26, 2009 #5

=) i guess they have multiple uses... Styling for your aircraft that saves fuel, and stops mechanics falling off the ends...

I think its amazing how these little things can do so much.

There was an hour episode on BBC2 a month or so back about winglets, aerofoils and aircraft dynamics, something to do with open uni and richard hammond, was pretty interesting...

7. Mar 26, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl:

8. Mar 28, 2009 #7

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Thanks for the site. Great read =]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook