Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cool Optical Illusion

1. Feb 25, 2004 #1

I found this one to be more interesting than most because of counter rotation.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2004 #2
    That was awesome, zoobyshoe. I wonder why it made me laugh, though...I was really laughing hysterically at the things, and there was nothing really funny about it.
  4. Feb 26, 2004 #3
    Could be cause you realize how funny you must look doing it.
  5. Feb 26, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is a great illusion though. Probably the best I've seen so far, since it doesn't require you to stare at a fixed point for several minutes to fatigue your retinal neurons before the illusion can happen. (That part is always a bit of a nuisance.)
  6. Feb 26, 2004 #5
    lol that site is soo old lol...go to the illusions section theres really good ones there
  7. Feb 26, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think we need to talk about this.

What else do you laugh at Mentat?
  8. Feb 27, 2004 #7
    Yeah, I don't think I've seen one like this before that moves in respose to the viewer's motion.

Imagine if someone made a giant one and put it at the end of a long hall where people had to walk a long way toward it.
  9. Feb 27, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That'd be great! You could paint the center a bright color to attract people's attention. This absolutely needs to be done. You could set up a hidden camera in the hall to get people's reactions. Classic.
  10. Feb 27, 2004 #9
    I think you'd end up with alot of people going into some kind of total hypnotic fixation. You'd have to mount it on foam rubber; there'd be those who keep walking till they slam right into it.
  11. Feb 28, 2004 #10
    That one optical illusion about the balcony and the guy climbing it is a real melon-scratcher.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?