Cool Optical Illusion: Counter Rotation

In summary: Originally posted by zoobyshoe I think you'd end up with a lot of people going into some kind of total hypnotic fixation. You'd have to mount it on foam rubber; there'd be those who keep walking till they slam right into it.
zoobyshoe
Address:http://www.ebaumsworld.com/

I found this one to be more interesting than most because of counter rotation.

Physics news on Phys.org
That was awesome, zoobyshoe. I wonder why it made me laugh, though...I was really laughing hysterically at the things, and there was nothing really funny about it.

Could be cause you realize how funny you must look doing it.

lol

That is a great illusion though. Probably the best I've seen so far, since it doesn't require you to stare at a fixed point for several minutes to fatigue your retinal neurons before the illusion can happen. (That part is always a bit of a nuisance.)

lol that site is soo old lol...go to the illusions section there's really good ones there

Originally posted by Mentat
I wonder why it made me laugh, though...I was really laughing hysterically at the things, and there was nothing really funny about it.

I think we need to talk about this.

What else do you laugh at Mentat?

Originally posted by hypnagogue
lolThat is a great illusion though. Probably the best I've seen so far, since it doesn't require you to stare at a fixed point for several minutes to fatigue your retinal neurons before the illusion can happen. (That part is always a bit of a nuisance.)
Yeah, I don't think I've seen one like this before that moves in respose to the viewer's motion.

Imagine if someone made a giant one and put it at the end of a long hall where people had to walk a long way toward it.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Yeah, I don't think I've seen one like this before that moves in respose to the viewer's motion.

Imagine if someone made a giant one and put it at the end of a long hall where people had to walk a long way toward it.

That'd be great! You could paint the center a bright color to attract people's attention. This absolutely needs to be done. You could set up a hidden camera in the hall to get people's reactions. Classic.

Originally posted by hypnagogue
You could set up a hidden camera in the hall to get people's reactions. Classic.
I think you'd end up with a lot of people going into some kind of total hypnotic fixation. You'd have to mount it on foam rubber; there'd be those who keep walking till they slam right into it.

That one optical illusion about the balcony and the guy climbing it is a real melon-scratcher.

What is a cool optical illusion?

A cool optical illusion is a visual phenomenon that tricks the mind into perceiving something that is not actually there or is different from what is really there.

What is counter rotation in an optical illusion?

Counter rotation is a type of optical illusion where two objects appear to be rotating in opposite directions, even though they are actually rotating in the same direction at the same speed.

How does counter rotation work?

Counter rotation works by using contrasting colors and patterns to create a visual illusion of movement in opposite directions. This causes the brain to perceive the objects as rotating in opposite directions.

Are there any real-life examples of counter rotation?

Yes, there are real-life examples of counter rotation, such as the rotating barber pole and the rotating wind turbines. These objects use contrasting colors and patterns to create the illusion of rotating in opposite directions.

What are the practical applications of studying counter rotation?

Studying counter rotation can help scientists and researchers better understand how our brain processes visual information and perceives motion. It can also have applications in fields such as art, design, and advertising, where optical illusions are used to create visually appealing and attention-grabbing images.