What are some cool parametric equations for a butterfly curve?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who recently learned parametrics and is looking for cool equations to plug into a parametric graphing calculator. The conversation suggests various equations such as the Hypotrochoid, Astroid, Superellipse, and Archimede spiral that can be used for experimenting and creating unique designs. The person also mentions a resource with a collection of famous curves and asks about the type of calculator being used.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Hi all! I have recently taught myself parametrics, and I stumbled upon the butterfly curve. So, I was wondering about some cool equations I can plug into a parametric graphing calculator.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Isaac0427 said:
Hi all! I have recently taught myself parametrics, and I stumbled upon the butterfly curve. So, I was wondering about some cool equations I can plug into a parametric graphing calculator.
Oh, those are a lot of fun -- even better than polar graphing! My favorite is the Hypotrochoid:

x(t) = (a - b) cos t + c cos ((a/b - 1)t)
x(t) = (a - b) sin t + c sin ((a/b - 1)t)

Sorry, I haven't learned LaTeX, yet . . . Here's a bunch of lovely equations you can try:

https://elepa.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/fifty-famous-curves.pdf

What calculator do you have?

Last edited:
Likes Isaac0427
Oh, another good one:

x(t) = sin(7πt)
y(t) = cos(5πt)

Not so sure if it has a name, but it looks way cool. You can always experiment and make up your own, too :)

Likes Isaac0427
The astroid:

##x(t)=a\cos^{3}{t}##
##y(t)=a\sin^{3}{t}##

Likes Isaac0427
Ssnow said:
The astroid:

##x(t)=a\cos^{3}{t}##
##y(t)=a\sin^{3}{t}##
That one is lovely.

Likes Ssnow
Special mention should be made of the superellipse
##\left| \frac{x}{a}\right|^n + \left| \frac{y}{b}\right|^n = 1##
which has parametric equations
##x(t) = \pm a \cos^{2/n}(t)##
##y(t) = \pm b \sin^{2/n}(t)##
It contains a number of equations above as special cases.

In turn this is generalized by the superformula.
As I understand it the 3d version is used by No Man's Sky.

Likes Isaac0427 and Ssnow
In the Astroid ##t\in [0,2\pi]##, there is also the Archimede spiral:

##x=t\cos{t}##
##y=t\sin{t}##

with ##t\in [0,+\infty)##. Have good painting ...

Likes Isaac0427, jim mcnamara and ProfuselyQuarky

What are cool parametric equations?

Cool parametric equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between two or more variables in a system. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model complex systems.

How are parametric equations different from regular equations?

Unlike regular equations, parametric equations introduce a third variable called a parameter. This parameter allows the equations to represent a wider range of values and often allows for more complex and interesting shapes and patterns to be created.

What makes parametric equations "cool"?

Parametric equations are considered "cool" because they allow for the creation of visually striking and intricate patterns and shapes. They are also often used in computer graphics to create animations and simulations, which can be visually appealing and fascinating.

Can parametric equations be used for practical applications?

Yes, parametric equations have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They are often used to model and analyze complex systems, and can also be used in designing and optimizing structures and machines.

Are there any limitations to using parametric equations?

While parametric equations have many benefits, they also have limitations. They may not be suitable for all types of problems, and they can be more complicated to work with compared to regular equations. Additionally, parametric equations may not have a unique solution, leading to multiple possible solutions for a given problem.