Cool reaction

• Thread starter bayan
  • Start date
cool reaction!!!

Hi there, I am going to have to make a presentation for my English class next month, and since we are allowed to do about anything I was just looking around for some cool ideas and maybe some explination of what happened.

Yes it is for my English work.

I reaction must be resenable as it is not going to be done in a lab. I is going to be done in a normal class room.

I was thinking about reacting something with water to give me some sort of a small explosion (Like fireworks) or something like that which I cannot clearly remember(This was done sometime a go in my grade 9 science).

Any other comment is deeply welcomed.

Thanx

Answers and Replies

LOL. A very small bead of potassium or sodium metal done.
Store them in paraffin oil. Only a very small piece. They are very reactive. Be aware of it!
Potassium gives lilac flame while sodium gives golden yellow flame. DO NOT PUT THEM IN ANY ACID INSTEAD.

I know this might be asking too much.

but what goes on in the reaction?

2K+H2O--->K2O+2H

Is that right(Assuming it is pure water) or is there missing chemichal?

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Close enough, but the oxide gets very easily hydrated, so :
[tex]2K + 2H_2O \longrightarrow 2KOH + H_2 ~[/tex] and this is hardly asking for too much.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
The reaction with water is higly uninteresting.:yukk:You should try it with sulphuric acid...:devil:

Daniel.

P.S.You may wanna heat the acid,first...:devil:

mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
dextercioby said:
The reaction with water is higly uninteresting.:yukk:You should try it with sulphuric acid...:devil:

Daniel.

P.S.You may wanna heat the acid,first...:devil:
LOL, and while you at it, why not hod it under the water/acid with your bare hand to keep it submerged.

sounds like dextercioby knows the formula for disaster

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
It doesn't work,the acid will "eat" the Na instantly.I would have advised to keep his face over the Berzelius glass to get a better look at it...Those 1.1 seconds would have remained "fresh" on his face for a long while...:devil:

Daniel.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Please do not encourage students to perform dangerous stunts with chemicals.

bayan,

I strongly recommend that you do not attempt to make any kind of "small explosion" in a classroom. Your English teacher will probably concur.

- Warren