Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cool reaction

1. Feb 14, 2005 #1
    cool reaction!!!

Hi there, I am going to have to make a presentation for my English class next month, and since we are allowed to do about anything I was just looking around for some cool ideas and maybe some explination of what happened.

Yes it is for my English work.

I reaction must be resenable as it is not going to be done in a lab. I is going to be done in a normal class room.

I was thinking about reacting something with water to give me some sort of a small explosion (Like fireworks) or something like that which I cannot clearly remember(This was done sometime a go in my grade 9 science).

Any other comment is deeply welcomed.

Thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2005 #2
    LOL. A very small bead of potassium or sodium metal done.
    Store them in paraffin oil. Only a very small piece. They are very reactive. Be aware of it!
    Potassium gives lilac flame while sodium gives golden yellow flame. DO NOT PUT THEM IN ANY ACID INSTEAD.

4. Feb 14, 2005 #3
    I know this might be asking too much.

but what goes on in the reaction?

2K+H2O--->K2O+2H

Is that right(Assuming it is pure water) or is there missing chemichal?

5. Feb 14, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Close enough, but the oxide gets very easily hydrated, so :
    [tex]2K + 2H_2O \longrightarrow 2KOH + H_2 ~[/tex] and this is hardly asking for too much.

6. Feb 14, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The reaction with water is higly uninteresting.:yukk:You should try it with sulphuric acid...:devil:

Daniel.

P.S.You may wanna heat the acid,first...:devil:

7. Feb 14, 2005 #6

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

LOL, and while you at it, why not hod it under the water/acid with your bare hand to keep it submerged.

sounds like dextercioby knows the formula for disaster

8. Feb 14, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't work,the acid will "eat" the Na instantly.I would have advised to keep his face over the Berzelius glass to get a better look at it...Those 1.1 seconds would have remained "fresh" on his face for a long while...:devil:

Daniel.

9. Feb 14, 2005 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please do not encourage students to perform dangerous stunts with chemicals.

bayan,

I strongly recommend that you do not attempt to make any kind of "small explosion" in a classroom. Your English teacher will probably concur.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?