Cool stuff - Video Projected on Water Particles?

In summary, the article discusses a technology that uses water vapor to project images onto a screen. The reporter has some concerns about the technology, but ultimately believes that it has the potential to be a huge improvement over current technology. The technology can be seen first hand at the Disney/MGM Studios in Florida, where animated movies are shown on a waterfall screen that uses water vapor.
Alex
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/09/15/videoscreen.air.reut/index.html

I want one

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Closer to hollography every day. I love it.

Fascinating ! :smile:
BTW, it's also interesting to see the way the article's
written. It's history in the making - a reporter
making skeptic comments about a future technology
of huge potential - which is abvious to anyone
with even a tiny sense of futuristic and technological
vision. They wrote the same things about the automobile,
the telephone, Goddard's research, computers, Internet
and practicly any other great new technology.
People's lack of vision, technological and scientific
conservatism and pure stupidity can sometimes reach
amazing levels.

Live long and prosper.

That is awesome. I was a lil bothered by the attitude as well. But that just shows you that technology scares people.

I'm confused a bit though. If it uses a water vapor to project the images, will it not soak the area nearby the device? If they get those things down to a reasonable price, I believe they'd replace the television.

You can see this technology first hand by going to the Disney/MGM Studios at Walt Disney World in FL. They have a show called Fantasmic every night at the closing of the park. They show animated movies right on waterfalls during the show. It is quite breathtaking. My advise is to get there an hours early or you won't get a seat, it fills up fast.

I think that's a similar concept, but not quite the same method. Doesn't that just use a projector screen?

The screen is actually cascading water. I could be wrong about it being the same technology, but I am sure there are no projector screens, just shooting water.

my bad, I didn't mean to say screen, should have just left it at projector.

1. How does video projection on water particles work?

Video projection on water particles works by using a specialized projector and a water screen. The projector emits light onto the water particles, which act as a screen, creating a display of moving images. This technology is often used in outdoor events and shows.

2. What are the benefits of using water particles for video projection?

Using water particles for video projection allows for a unique and visually appealing display. The water particles can create a 3D effect, and the movement of the particles can add an extra dimension to the video. It also provides a more environmentally friendly option compared to traditional screens and projectors.

3. How is the quality of the video affected when projected on water particles?

The quality of the video projected on water particles can vary depending on the size and distance of the particles from the projector. The closer the particles are to the projector, the better the resolution will be. However, there may be some distortion due to the movement of the particles.

4. Are there any limitations to using water particles for video projection?

One limitation of using water particles for video projection is the need for a water source or reservoir. This may limit its use in certain locations. Additionally, the display may be affected by weather conditions, such as wind and rain, which can disrupt the movement of the particles.

5. What are some common applications of video projection on water particles?

Video projection on water particles is often used in outdoor events such as concerts, festivals, and light shows. It is also used in advertising and marketing campaigns, as well as in art installations. Additionally, it can be used for educational purposes, such as in science exhibits or planetarium shows.