Can These Commercials Make You Laugh Out Loud?

In summary, the conversation is about a video advertisement for a car from Germany that has a spooky ghostly figure appearing in the background. Some people found it scary, while others found it amusing. There is also a discussion about practical jokes and being scared unexpectedly. One person also asks about the meaning of a phrase in the video.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~sivann/pub/KFee_Auto.mpg

I really like the soothing effects this video has, pretty cool :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AAAAHHH!

MONIQUE!

Tch... I kinda expected that. Stupid soothing pan pipes. Wait... was that my mum?

LoL

I didn't. Not with Monique's innocence. Her picture, all with her soothing words. hey at least she used one.

I know now I cannot ever trust her again!
She's probably gone to bed, snickering, rubbing her hands and with a wicked laughter, excited to wake up the next morning to see all the shocked faces.

Last edited:
uh oh, I think I need to change my shorts.

Who wants to change with me this time?

I think I've seen this before, so I'm not clicking the link. <'fraidy cat, I am>

That video scared the bejeesuz out of me!

How...how could you, Monique?

I wonder if they really televised this. I can already picture my grandparents recoiling with fatal shock from this ad. Incidentally, what does "So wach warst du noch nie" mean?

The_Professional said:
That video scared the bejeesuz out of me!

I thought they were selling the Honda Civic Hybrid. The peaceful sound and the trees, then a sedan.

Scared the crap out of me. :eek:

Har..har.. I've seen this before.
The author of the post, from where I first saw this from, did a great job luring people in. Here's the text he used:
"This is a car advertisement from Germany. When they finished filming the ad, the people who made it noticed something moving along the side of the car. It's kind of like a ghostly white mist.

The ad was never put on TV because the unexplained ghostly phenomenon frightened the production team out of their wits.

Watch it and about halfway look and you will see the white mist crossing in front of the car then following it along the road... Spooky!

Note: The audio is a bit hard to hear. "

MONIQUE! That scared the living crap out of me. Please leave a warning in future, please.

The Bob (2004 ©)

:devil: hehe http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/blackeye/hihi.gif

For comfort, it scared the life out of me too :bugeye: :biggrin:

recon said:
Incidentally, what does "So wach warst du noch nie" mean?
It means 'This awake you weren't before' :wink:

Monique said:
It means 'This awake you weren't before' :wink:

As in 'This awakes you like never before'?!

:rolleyes: Seems fitting.

Monique said:
:devil: hehe http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/blackeye/hihi.gif

For comfort, it scared the life out of me too :bugeye: :biggrin:

Oh ok. Never mind. I just don't like being scared with dead things really. Well not dead things that move. It is making me paranoid now.

The Bob (2004 ©)

awh, I'm sorry.. I wanted to edit in a warning for the faint-hearted, but I can't edit the post :frown:
[p.s. the green guy is not really dead :wink:]

Monique said:
awh, I'm sorry.. I wanted to edit in a warning for the faint-hearted, but I can't edit the post :frown:
[p.s. the green guy is not really dead :wink:]

I know it is an actor but it still makes me paronoid. Never mind Monique. I need to learn to be a little less scared at things.

The Bob (2004 ©)

I once spooked an elderly lady from behind using a gentle touch while uttering "BOO". As she turned to face me with enormously round eyes, her knees buckled and she nearly fell (I caught her). I instantly felt very, very, badly for having done this, as it was only meant to be a harmless practical joke. This video gave me quite a start and made me feel the way that woman had looked, so I am thankful that what has gone around has now come around, and wish to believe all is at last forgiven, haha.

How about a cardboard cutout of a man placed in a safe that only gets opened at the end of the day when the lights have been dimmed...

Dunno, that sounds rather frightening.

Okay, now that I've restarted my heart again...grrr. :grumpy: I even read all the other posts warning me, and thought I was prepared for something scary...that wasn't it! What I'm now wondering though is why is it that when we scare ourselves silly like that, I then find myself uncontrollably laughing once I jiggle my heart back down out of my throat? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Okay, now that I've restarted my heart again...grrr. :grumpy: I even read all the other posts warning me, and thought I was prepared for something scary...that wasn't it! What I'm now wondering though is why is it that when we scare ourselves silly like that, I then find myself uncontrollably laughing once I jiggle my heart back down out of my throat? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't giggle or laugh, my heart races and I then think that if I look in the door why it will happen to me as I walk through it. I get paranoid. :mad: Not fair. :cry:

The Bob (2004 ©)

It reminds me of that picture that was pretty popular on the net a few years ago which innocently enough claims to be steriographic photo depicting a messy room; where you have to stare at it for a while, and a 3d image pops out, but instead a terrifying looking ghost comes flying out of the doorway and seems to jump right out of your computer screen. I remember setting my mom up with that; she couldn't talk for a few minutes after screaming. What is it about seeing something unexpected that just scares the crap out of you?

The Bob said:
I don't giggle or laugh, my heart races and I then think that if I look in the door why it will happen to me as I walk through it. I get paranoid. :mad: Not fair. :cry:

The Bob (2004 ©)
*gives the Bob a BIG hug* :redface: hope that helps

Monique said:
*gives the Bob a BIG hug* :redface: hope that helps

Yer, thanks. :redface: :smile: It does normally help. It is just my silly mind and I need to realize that it is not real. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
Yer, thanks. :redface: :smile: It does normally help. It is just my silly mind and I need to realize that it is not real. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Ever watched Shaun of the Dead?? :biggrin:

jimmy p said:
Ever watched Shaun of the Dead?? :biggrin:

No.

*The Bob is ready to slap Chopnik around the head with a Rainbow Trout*. :mad: :rofl: :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
No.

*The Bob is ready to slap Chopnik around the head with a Rainbow Trout*. :mad: :rofl: :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Chopnik Spraymaster to YOU thank you very much. Wont work, I am not afraid of OR allergic to rainbow trout.

Mental Note: Find something less appealing than dog crap to fling at The Bob... maybe a zombie hand.

jimmy p said:
Chopnik Spraymaster to YOU thank you very much. Wont work, I am not afraid of OR allergic to rainbow trout.

Mental Note: Find something less appealing than dog crap to fling at The Bob... maybe a zombie hand.

Well Chopnik Spraymaster I will not be ready with a Rainbow Trout.

No hands.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Another entertaining car video :biggrin:

http://www.raytechinc.com/funny_video/antena1wheel1.mpeg

Thank you, BobG. That was excellent. The video was not in anyway scary. I found a change of underwear unnecessary. :biggrin:

BobG said:
Another entertaining car video :biggrin:

http://www.raytechinc.com/funny_video/antena1wheel1.mpeg

Ok, What is in it this time?, before I watch it.

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. Can commercials actually make you laugh out loud?

Yes, commercials are specifically designed to grab viewers' attention and make them laugh, cry, or feel some kind of emotion. Advertisers use humor as a strategy to make their product more memorable and appealing to consumers.

2. Why do some people find certain commercials funny while others don't?

Humor is subjective and what one person finds funny may not be funny to someone else. Commercials use different types of humor, such as slapstick, satire, or puns, which can appeal to different audiences. Additionally, personal experiences and cultural backgrounds can also influence what people find funny.

3. Are there any negative effects of using humor in commercials?

While humor can be an effective advertising strategy, it can also backfire if not executed properly. Some people may find certain types of humor offensive or inappropriate, which can create a negative image for the brand. Additionally, if the humor overshadows the product or message, it may not be effective in promoting the product.

4. Can commercials that make you laugh out loud be successful in selling products?

Yes, commercials that make people laugh can be successful in selling products. Humor can make the brand more relatable and create a positive association with the product. It can also make the commercial more memorable, increasing the chances of consumers remembering the product and purchasing it in the future.

5. Are there any scientific studies on the effectiveness of humorous commercials?

Yes, there have been numerous studies on the effectiveness of humorous commercials. These studies have shown that humor can increase viewers' attention and emotional response to the commercial, as well as positively impact their attitudes and intentions towards the brand and product. However, the effectiveness of humor in advertising also depends on the target audience and the type of product being advertised.