Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cool thing

1. Mar 11, 2005 #1
    Just wanted to share a cool thing I found when I was shown Eulers formula...

e^(pi*i) +1 = 0

this can be written as

e^pi = (SQRT -1)ROOT -1

dont know if I wrote correclty...

...........................................................................................
    ...........................................................................................
    ..........#######....########################..........................
    .##....#.......#.........#......................................................................
    ....#.#...--.#........#...................#...............................................
    .....#..........#...... #....................#...............................................
    ........................#..........----...#...................................................
    ..########.....#.......................#......................................................
    .................#...#........................#...............................................
    ..................#.#.........................#..............................................
    ...................#........................................................................

Took a time to write this :)

so can you imagine the number above to equal e^pi which is th real number around 23...? :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes,
    [tex]e^{i\pi}+ 1= 0[/tex]

(click on that to see the code I used)

I suspect that just about everyone on this board already knows that- there have been a number of threads about it.

4. Mar 11, 2005 #3
    but is the format i wrote it in also well-known? the cool root stuff I mean...

5. Mar 11, 2005 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it is. Exponentiation by complex numbers gives some startling results when you first see it.

Note that [tex]e^{\pi}[/tex] isn't the only answer for [tex](-1)^{1/i}[/tex], it depends on the branch of the logarithm you used. Can you find the other values? They might be even more suprising...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?