Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cool thing

1. Mar 11, 2005 #1
    Just wanted to share a cool thing I found when I was shown Eulers formula...

e^(pi*i) +1 = 0

this can be written as

e^pi = (SQRT -1)ROOT -1

dont know if I wrote correclty...

...........................................................................................
    ...........................................................................................
    ..........#######....########################..........................
    .##....#.......#.........#......................................................................
    ....#.#...--.#........#...................#...............................................
    .....#..........#...... #....................#...............................................
    ........................#..........----...#...................................................
    ..########.....#.......................#......................................................
    .................#...#........................#...............................................
    ..................#.#.........................#..............................................
    ...................#........................................................................

Took a time to write this :)

so can you imagine the number above to equal e^pi which is th real number around 23...? :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes,
    [tex]e^{i\pi}+ 1= 0[/tex]

(click on that to see the code I used)

I suspect that just about everyone on this board already knows that- there have been a number of threads about it.

4. Mar 11, 2005 #3
    but is the format i wrote it in also well-known? the cool root stuff I mean...

5. Mar 11, 2005 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it is. Exponentiation by complex numbers gives some startling results when you first see it.

Note that [tex]e^{\pi}[/tex] isn't the only answer for [tex](-1)^{1/i}[/tex], it depends on the branch of the logarithm you used. Can you find the other values? They might be even more suprising...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook