Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cooled by breeze

1. Jul 11, 2007 #1
    Why is it when I'm outside in the 90 degree weather the air feels incredibly hot, but when I get in my car and roll the window down and drive along the air blowing against me feels cold? The only difference is the air is moving across my skin, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2007 #2

turbo

Gold Member

When you are sitting still in 90 deg weather, you have a micro-climate next to your skin that is becoming saturated with perspiration and the evaporative cooling is hard to feel. When you drive down the highway, the fast-moving air strips away that micro-climate and more evaporative cooling occurs, so you feel cooler.

4. Jul 12, 2007 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This used to be much more obvious when you were allowed to pour organic solvents on your hands in high school!

5. Jul 12, 2007 #4
    that's a completely different effect

6. Jul 12, 2007 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's still cooling by evaporation, but blowing on acetone is a much quicker example of the cooling effects than air.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?