Coolest coat of arms in the world

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
In summary, the Czech Republic's coat of arms is a three-towered castle with a robin on top. Albania's coat of arms features a raven. Montenegro's coat of arms has a three-legged pelvis. Poland's coat of arms features a hawk. Norway's coat of arms features a lion. Slovakia's coat of arms features a unicorn. Germany's coat of arms features a caribou.
fourier jr
I nominate Canada's. I hope the RCMP doesn't come "disappear" me for using the coat of arms without the governor-general's permission:
250px-Coat_of_arms_of_Canada.svg.png

Physics news on Phys.org
739px-Isle_of_Man_coat_of_arms.svg.png

Check and mate

The standard by which coat's of arms is determined is a fight between the two bearers.
Lion vs Unicorn beats Hawk vs Crow.

Yea but the three legged pelvis should count for a few points, after all it has spurs.

mgb_phys said:
The standard by which coat's of arms is determined is a fight between the two bearers.
Lion vs Unicorn beats Hawk vs Crow.

...whaaaa?!? Clearly that's a Peregrine falcon and a Raven!

http://www.sullivansrus.com/images/coat.GIF [Broken]

This is ours. Aside from the addition of a robin with a sprig to the crest around 1930, it's genuine. Although maybe not so cool. The motto translates as "The gentle hand to victory". Which perhaps explains why we lost everything and were scattered across the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Office_Shredder said:
Check and mate

not so fast, Canada's has a lion wielding a maple leaf!

fourier jr said:
not so fast, Canada's has a lion wielding a maple leaf!

Although there are no lions in Canada.

JasonRox said:
Although there are no lions in Canada.
Please don't tell me that there are no unicorns in Canada, either!

My dreams are shattered! I always wanted to do some back-country hunting in northern PQ so I could bag one!

turbo-1 said:

My dreams are shattered! I always wanted to do some back-country hunting in northern PQ so I could bag one!

hmm I wonder why Nunavut put a narwhal on theirs?

fourier jr said:
hmm I wonder why Nunavut put a narwhal on theirs?
Ain't the same as a white horse with a twisty horn stickin' out of the forehead. Always wanted to hang one of them (in season,of course) for bragging rights.

turbo-1 said:
Remember this is a country where their polar bears attack nulcear subs!

bear_sub1.jpg

Didn't we settle this?

http://www.fotw.us/images/c/ca)nu.gif [Broken]

Nunavut.

leopard said:
Didn't we settle this?

Nunavut.

Agreed, leopard. A caribou, a narwhal...and an igloo! For crying out loud, Nunavut wins!

National ones:

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png

79px-Albania_state_emblem.svg.png

104px-Coat_of_arms_of_Montenegro.svg.png

102px-Herb_Polski.svg.png

68px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Norway.svg.png

96px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Slovakia.svg.png

96px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Germany.svg.png

1. Czech Republic
2. Albania
3. Montenegro
4. Poland
5. Norway
6. Slovakia
7. Germany

The ugliest:

93px-Türkiye_arması.svg.png

120px-Sweden_greater_coa1908-modern.png

120px-Coat_of_arms_of_Oman.svg.png
Turkey
Sweden
Palau
Oman
Algeria

leopard said:
Didn't we settle this?

Nunavut.

I like how the caribou looks so happy and the narwhal looks like he's humping the round thingy. hehe.

http://www.bondvanwapenbroeders.nl/mainsite/Gewesten/Zeeland/WapenZeeland.gif [Broken]

"Luctor et Emergo" means I like swimming. No?

Greenland's is quite good, simple but gets the message across

85px-Coat_of_arms_Greenland.svg.png

This is a real wrought iron coat of arms from Canada, I have been involved in the antique
trade for years and I believe I have one of the only ones in a private collection that I
know of. They are extremely rare and quite desirable, especially in the U.S. where top
dollars are paid for them. I am extremely proud of my rare example.

Attachments

• 2010 03 15_0004-aminus_filtered.jpg
    2010 03 15_0004-aminus_filtered.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 675
This is an additional one that I have. I received it when I got the larger one.
The smaller version is 29 inches.

Attachments

• P1010112_edited-1.jpg
    P1010112_edited-1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 690

Attachments

• 173px-Coat_of_arms_of_Sicily.svg.png
    173px-Coat_of_arms_of_Sicily.svg.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 586
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Coat_of_arms_of_the_Dominican_Republic.svg[/URL]

The Velarde coat of arms. Though it does not work too well. Nepolian stuck my great, great, great, grandpa in a street fight and killed him. Stupid gang banger.

on second thought nunavut's is pretty cool too

2v2flo1.png

I think this was trying to tell us something.

(Emperor Charles V)

Quarterly: I and IV grand-quarterly i and iv great-grand-quarterly 1 and 4 gules a three towered castle Or masoned sable and ajouré azure (for Castile), 2 and 3 argent a lion rampant purpure crowned Or langued and armed gules (for Leon), ii per pale, dexter per fess, in chief Or four pallets gules (for Aragon), in base gules a cross, saltire, and orle of chains linked together Or and a centre point vert (for Navarre), sinister party per pale argent a cross potent and four crosslets Or impaling barry of eight gules and argent (for Naples), iii per pale, dexter per fess, in chief Or four pallets gules (for Aragon), in base gules a cross, saltire, and orle of chains linked together Or and a centre point vert (for Navarre), sinister per saltire, 1 and 4 Or four pallets gules, 2 and 3 argent an eagle displayed sable (for Sicily); II and III grand-quarterly, i gules a fess argent (for Austria), ii azure semy-de-lis Or a bordure compony argent and gules (new Burgundy), iii bendy of six Or and azure a bordure gules (old Burgundy), iv sable a lion rampant Or langued and armed gules (for Brabant), overall at the fess point of the quarter an inescutcheon Or a lion rampant sable armed and langued gules (for Flanders) impaling argent an eagle displayed gules, armed, beaked, and langued Or (for Tyrol); enté en point argent a pomegranate proper seeded gules, supported, sculpted and slipped vert (for Granada).

Supporters: A bicephalous eagle displayed sable imperially crowned proper in front of a saltire ragulée gules, the whole between two columns argent issuing from the sea proper in base, the one to dexter crowned imperially proper, the one to sinister crowned with the Royal Crown of Spain proper. The motto, PLVS VLTRA, wraps around the columns.

What makes a coat of arms considered "cool"?

A coat of arms is considered cool based on several factors, including its intricate design, use of vibrant colors, incorporation of meaningful symbols, and historical significance. It should also reflect the values and identity of the individual, family, or organization it represents.

What are some common symbols found in cool coats of arms?

Some common symbols found in cool coats of arms include animals, such as lions, dragons, and eagles; plants, such as roses, oak leaves, and laurel wreaths; and geometric shapes like crosses, stars, and crescents. These symbols often have specific meanings and represent virtues or achievements.

Can a coat of arms be changed or updated?

Yes, a coat of arms can be changed or updated by the individual, family, or organization it represents. However, this change must be officially approved by a heraldic authority, as coats of arms are considered legal and personal property.

Are there any famous or notable cool coats of arms?

Yes, there are many famous and notable cool coats of arms, including the coat of arms of the British royal family, the coat of arms of the United States, and the coat of arms of the Medici family of Florence. These coats of arms are recognized and admired worldwide for their historical significance and intricate designs.

Can anyone have a cool coat of arms?

Yes, anyone can have a cool coat of arms designed for them. However, it must follow the rules and guidelines set by the heraldic authorities and should reflect the individual's or family's values and identity. It is also recommended to consult with a professional heraldic artist for a unique and authentic design.