Which Greek Letter is the Coolest? My Favorite is \xi

• Thread starter metapuff
  • Start date
In summary, lambda is my favorite Greek letter because it's fun and for beauty. I also like var-phi because it's easy to memorize and theta because it is easy to memorize. Omega is my favorite because it is the smallest Greek letter and it has many reasons. My least favorite is rho because I can't make it and it always ends up being a "p".
metapuff
What's your favorite greek letter? Writing [itex] \xi [/itex] has always been fun for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
haha would help if I knew how to create the symbol ;)

Lambda is my fav

[tex]\theta[/tex]
This seems to be the easiest one I can memorize. My work never requires Greek characters, that counts.

[itex] \xi [/itex] is beautiful. Also always liked [itex] \zeta, \sigma [/itex] and [itex] \eta [/itex]

those are all flashy show-off characters ... which is the opposite of "cool". Practically squares.

omicron: ...it is the same shape in both upper and lower case, and the same shape and pronounciation in a wide variety of languages.
It's relaxed, unflappable, just hangs out there, never goes out of style and nobody laughs at it or goes "wha-at?!" Not emotionally demonstrative, the omicron is relaxed enough to be a hug. A group of them together on a row is the sound of awe itself.

iota is a close second - it's the smallest character, ticks many of the same boxes as omicron ... but it's a tad self-obsessed (and gets mentioned by lots of famous people) to quite make it as "cool".

@davenn: in LaTeX, the greek characters not already in the latin charset are typeset by writing their name with a backslash in front.
So: Lambda is \Lambda or \lambda, which gets you ##\Lambda## or ##\lambda##.

Simon Bridge said:

@davenn: in LaTeX, the greek characters not already in the latin charset are typeset by writing their name with a backslash in front.
So: Lambda is \Lambda or \lambda, which gets you ##\Lambda## or ##\lambda## .

LOL don't know how to use the LaTeX mode

Wrap them in '# #' tags (minus the space).
Like: '# # \LaTeX # #' = ##\LaTeX##

tried a bunch of variations nothing worked

Enigman said:
Wrap them in '# #' tags (minus the space).
Like: '# # \LaTeX # #' = ##\LaTeX##

##\LaTeX##

goes and stands in the dunce's corner :(

##\varphi##

Capital Gamma: [itex]\Gamma[/itex]

Looks Gangsta.

It's double-hash for "inline" mode and double-dollar for "display" mode.
So inline: ##\frac{\alpha}{\omega}##; and display: $$\frac{\alpha}{\omega}$$...

gamma looks like a bus shelter
var-phi looks like a curly way to pee
... but in a while we'll have every Greek character in this thread: we all know that right?

Are we picking favorites or coolness?
It is possible for something to be cool but also unpopular - so it's important.

Usually these threads are most fun for the reasoning:

So far we have Xi because it's fun and for beauty.

lambda - no reason
(consider - ##\Lambda## is part of the chevron-earth symbol in SG-1: ##\overset{\circ}\Lambda##)

var-phi - also no reason

theta - because it is easy to memorize

omicron for coolness with a list of reasons spanning a paragraph

gamma for looking gangsta (= coolness + badness?)

I'm partial to [itex] \Xi [/itex]

##Δ## is what matters to me.

SafiBTA said:
##Δ## is what matters to me.
Even ##\delta## can make a difference.

mfb said:
Even ##\delta## can make a difference.
Infinitesimal difference :DD.

##\zeta## for sure.

##\psi## for sure.

##\rho##

is my favorite.

metapuff said:
What's your favorite greek letter? Writing [itex] \xi [/itex] has always been fun for me.
metapuff said:

upload_2014-9-28_15-40-19.png

The symbol for MHO (conductance, old style)

Psinter said:
##\rho##

is my favorite.
I hate rho. I cannot make ##\rho## for the life of me.. It always ends up being a "p".

DataGG said:
I hate rho. I cannot make ##\rho## for the life of me.. It always ends up being a "p".
Hihi. That's funny.

1. What does the Greek letter ξ represent?

The Greek letter ξ, also known as "xi", represents the 14th letter of the Greek alphabet. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to represent the statistical term "xi" or the "independent variable".

2. How is the Greek letter ξ pronounced?

The Greek letter ξ is pronounced as "ksi" in English. It is a combination of the sounds "k" and "s". In Greek, it is pronounced as "xē" or "xí".

3. What is the origin of the Greek letter ξ?

The Greek letter ξ is believed to be derived from the Phoenician letter "samekh", which means "fish". It is also related to the Hebrew letter "samekh" and the Latin letter "x".

4. How is the Greek letter ξ used in science and mathematics?

In science and mathematics, the Greek letter ξ is used to represent the statistical term "xi" or the "independent variable". It is also used in the notation for the Riemann zeta function and in the symbol for the correlation coefficient.

5. What makes the Greek letter ξ the coolest?

The coolness of a Greek letter is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, some may find the Greek letter ξ to be the coolest due to its unique shape and pronunciation, as well as its significance in mathematics and science.