1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coolest thing ever:

1. Apr 6, 2006 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Samsung is starting to sell DVD/Home Theater systems with a USB input for pretty much any device that complies with the USB mass storage standard: flash disks, external hard drives, cameras, Ipods, etc. I'm actually not convinced about the Ipod/mp3 player thing though - they usually have proprietary software on top of the USB mass storage standard. I'll need to double-check that. Still, it is extremely cool. It plays most popular media formats: mpg, divx, wmv, mp3, jpg, etc.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HomeTheater/HomeTheaterSystem/HT_P38THXAA.asp
    It's cheap, too - I'm so excited, I'm going to buy one right now even though I don't move into my new townhouse for another 2 weeks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2006 #2
    Thats cool... you could do that anyway if you were using Windows Media center.. or something like this

4. Apr 9, 2006 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Cool and all, but think carefully, there are other options out there if you want this sort of functionality. Have you considered a streaming media center ? This basically uses a network connection to your PC to stream media (video/audio/photos) to your TV/AV setup. It also allows you to surf the Net from the TV as a bonus (though without a keyboard, this is crappy). Both wireless and wired setups can be used and USB is often supported (it has a port behind for direct connection).

This is the one I'm using : http://www.neuston.com/en/mc500.php Designed and made in Singapore. Works on Win/Mac/linux (I've tested Windows and Linux personally).

There are other units of the sort available.

5. Apr 11, 2006 #4

russ_watters

The thing is, one way or another, I need the receiver, so that piece of equipment may as well have as many features as possible. Ie, instead of plugging a media center pc or network device into the receiver, now I plug the media itself directly into the receiver.

Plus, unless you have a really high-end receiver, you're getting analog sound and video from the streaming media device to the receiver. With mine, it stays digital a while longer, since the mp3/avi/etc decoding is done inside the receiver.

Still, it might be nice to have my media accessable from the network and directly by the receiver at the same time. I wonder if network hard drives can do simultaneous usb access...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  6. Apr 13, 2006 #5

russ_watters

Weak - I just found out that it only reads audio and photos off the USB interface - not videos. I don't see why they would do that, but damn, that sucks. I can still play divx on cd's though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?