1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coolest thing with a 555

1. Jul 18, 2006 #1
    I have just designed a brake/blinker system using high intensity LEDs and a 555 timer and it gave me an idea for a post:
    What's the coolest thing you've done using a 555 timer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2006 #2
    On work experience as boy i made a Variable speed blinking LED display with an offensive message. And i placed it above the bosses office door for giggles.

4. Jul 18, 2006 #3
    I made an automatic car starter with a monostable 555. At the touch of a button it would crank the engine over for 3 seconds unless it started sooner, in which case it would stop cranking. Pretty click and neat !

5. Jul 18, 2006 #4
    I made a narrow band frequency detector by using 2 555s as missing pulse detectors.

6. Jul 18, 2006 #5

Like The car starter, I made an adjustable jacobs later using an ignition coil

7. Jul 19, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I know nothing of electronics, but I did once use a chip that looked very much like a 555 to prop up the short leg of my draughting table. Does that count? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?