1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cooling a ball of iron

1. Sep 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A boll of iron with the volume ##V=\frac{4 \pi 0.01^3}{3}## heats up to 1073 K in a chamber with vacuum, how long will it take until the iron is at 1063 K? The given data is this:
    ##\rho_{iron} = 7870 kg/m^3##
    specific heat.. ##c_i = 0.5 \cdot 10^3 J/(kg \cdot K)##

2. Relevant equations
    Newtons law of cooling: ##T(t)=(T_1-T_0)e^{-\frac{k}{c}t}+T_0##

3. The attempt at a solution

Im stuck with that ##k## in the exponential. I know how to use the differential equation but i can't solve for ##t## as long as i have that unknown ##k## there, right? Can I approximate it or something?

Can I do something else? Since they give me the volume and density I'm thinking that maybe i should go with some other approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Newton's law of cooling does not apply in a vacuum. How does energy transfer happen in a vacuum?

4. Sep 22, 2015 #3
    Ofc, don't know what I was thinking. But hey, then I could just calculate the amount of heat needed to lower the temp. by 10 K and then use Stefan Boltzmanns law to solve for ##dt## right? Can I approximate it for a black body?

5. Sep 22, 2015 #4
    The problem is solved! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted