1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cooling bath temperature question

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cooling bath is prepared in a laboratory by mixing chunks of solid CO2 with ethanol. CO2(s) sublimes at -78.5°C to CO2(g). Ethanol freezes at -114.5°C and boils at +78.4°C. State the temperature of this cooling bath and describe what will be seen when it is prepared under ordinary laboratory conditions.

The answer is -78.5°C.

2. Relevant equations

Not sure if there are any equations. Might just be a graph with a critical point or something like that.

3. The attempt at a solution

First of all, the definition of a cooling bath is a bath that maintains a low temperature close to 0°C right? I suppose that the mixture of CO2 and ethanol is with solid CO2 (given) and liquid ethanol, so does the ethanol break up the CO2 or something? Anyway at -78.5°C ethanol is still liquid and CO2 is just in between solid and gaseous state. I don't understand how the answer is -78.5°C and I also would like to understand what happens in the cooling bath like the question states.

Thank you! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is mostly about the latent heat - question assumes there is enough solid carbon dioxide used.

Mixture is prepared using ethanol at - most likely - room temperature, so it will be cooled down by subliming CO2. How far down can the temperature go?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook