Explain Algorithmic Cooling: "Redemption Ark" by Alastair Reynolds

In summary: . it basically cools an interior space by running calculations that use up tiny particles called 'computons.' these particles supposedly create 'coldness,' which is then used to cool the space.
donkeyhide
can someone explain algorithmic cooling to me? (i think that's what it's called.) in a work of fiction i am presently reading, an interior space is cooled by a quantum-computational device engaged in ongoing calculations. the book is 'redemption ark' by alastair reynolds and the technology is named (in the book) a 'cryo-arithmetic engine.' i believe I've read something before about how heat ties into whether a computational operation is 'reversible' or not. obviously i have no idea what I'm talking about. I've only read a few layman's books on quantum computing. i just want to know how something like this might work.

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw a theory one time, I think it was a farse, in which the process of computer processing is supposed to use up fundamental particles called "computons," or something like this. These are, in turn, supposed to be quanta of "coldness." Since the process of comuptation is fundamentally using up these "coldness particles," that supposedly explains why a computer processor heats up. Maybe that's what you're looking for. Personally, it sounds like a bunch of horse crap to me.

no, this is a real phenomenon with quantum computers, apparently. i never read the details, but i have vague impressions of what it might be about for some reason:

in normal computers, heat is generated whenever a bit is flipped. it takes energy to do so. some is lost as heat. such computations are not 'reversible' since to flip the bit back youre going to again have to apply energy. heat is always lost. in quantum computers, i guess any computation is fully reversible. whatever that means. the tiny little thing i read about this months ago is almost completely lost to me now. the only thing that's sticking with me is the term 'reversible computing'

ah, i just found this, check this out:
http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/reversible.html

http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~mpf/rc/home.html

the device in the book works with this idea somehow

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Redemption Ark" by Alastair Reynolds?

"Redemption Ark" is a science fiction novel written by Alastair Reynolds. It is the second book in the Revelation Space series and was published in 2002. The novel follows a group of characters as they attempt to prevent a hostile alien race from destroying humanity.

2. What is algorithmic cooling?

Algorithmic cooling is a concept in quantum computing that involves reducing the temperature of the quantum computer to near absolute zero in order to minimize errors and improve the accuracy of calculations.

3. How does algorithmic cooling work in "Redemption Ark"?

In "Redemption Ark," algorithmic cooling is used by the characters to stabilize their quantum computers and prevent them from being hacked by the hostile alien race. By cooling the computers to near absolute zero, the characters are able to execute complex algorithms and outsmart their enemies.

4. Is algorithmic cooling a real concept?

Yes, algorithmic cooling is a real concept in quantum computing. It is based on the principles of quantum physics and has been successfully demonstrated in laboratory experiments.

5. How does "Redemption Ark" explore the concept of algorithmic cooling?

"Redemption Ark" uses algorithmic cooling as a plot device to showcase the advanced technology and capabilities of the characters. It also delves into the ethical implications of using such powerful technology and the potential consequences of relying too heavily on it.