Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cooling iron and steel

1. Jan 20, 2004 #1
    I am considering getting into forging metal things at home as a hobby. Setting up a little smithy in the back. I thought I'd try making some blades and such.

What are the properties of iron/steel as it cools? At what rate should it be cooled for different hardness or durability? What materials are best for different effects? What differences are there in the structure of the iron/steel when cooled at different rates?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2004 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Machinery's Handbook" is pretty good, regardless of which edition. Snoop around for "reconditioning of antique/vintage tools" for other tips regarding the kind of thing you're talking about --- "temperature measurement by color" for tempering/heat treatment/annealing iron and steels.

4. Jan 21, 2004 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The questions you're asking are good and usefull, but the answers are complicated. The properties of steel and iron depend on the composition, previous heating and cooling, whether it's been cold worked and probably some other things that I don't know about.

5. Feb 3, 2004 #4
    i've always wanted to make my own sword. even if its a real crappy one, it'll be mine.

but i've no idea how to make a forge or go about it :(

plus i have no money...

anyone know a site of how to build your own forge out of bricks or something?

6. Feb 9, 2004 #5
    forge

This page is about as cheap as a forge would concievably get.

http://64.176.180.203/washtubforge.htm

And also gives some introductions to metalworking.

7. Feb 9, 2004 #6
    love you're suit?!?

8. Feb 9, 2004 #7
    Ever thought of the possibility that merlins sword should have had a frequency easely emitted by a wistle? No?

9. Feb 9, 2004 #8
    "love you're suit?!?"

huh?

10. Feb 9, 2004 #9

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Go to the library and check out 'Back to the Basics' it has instructions for making a forge out of a brake drum.

11. Mar 21, 2004 #10
    RE: build your own forge

Gara wrote:
    i've always wanted to make my own sword. even if its a real crappy one, it'll be mine.

but i've no idea how to make a forge or go about it :(

plus i have no money...

anyone know a site of how to build your own forge out of bricks or something?

Gara,

Go to this site and register on the blacksmith group. One of the members wrote a book on that:
    http://metalshapers.org/discussion_group/discussion_groups.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?