Cooling Iron/Steel: Durability, Hardness and Structure

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of setting up a forge at home for the purpose of forging metal objects, specifically blades. The questions asked revolve around the properties of iron/steel and the best techniques and materials for achieving different effects. The conversation also includes suggestions for resources and instructions on building a forge using inexpensive materials.
Adam
I am considering getting into forging metal things at home as a hobby. Setting up a little smithy in the back. I thought I'd try making some blades and such.

What are the properties of iron/steel as it cools? At what rate should it be cooled for different hardness or durability? What materials are best for different effects? What differences are there in the structure of the iron/steel when cooled at different rates?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Machinery's Handbook" is pretty good, regardless of which edition. Snoop around for "reconditioning of antique/vintage tools" for other tips regarding the kind of thing you're talking about --- "temperature measurement by color" for tempering/heat treatment/annealing iron and steels.

The questions you're asking are good and usefull, but the answers are complicated. The properties of steel and iron depend on the composition, previous heating and cooling, whether it's been cold worked and probably some other things that I don't know about.

i've always wanted to make my own sword. even if its a real crappy one, it'll be mine.

but I've no idea how to make a forge or go about it :(

plus i have no money...

anyone know a site of how to build your own forge out of bricks or something?

forge

This page is about as cheap as a forge would concievably get.

http://64.176.180.203/washtubforge.htm [Broken]

And also gives some introductions to metalworking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Gara

love you're suit?!?

Ever thought of the possibility that merlins sword should have had a frequency easely emitted by a wistle? No?

"love you're suit?!?"

huh?

Originally posted by Gara
i've always wanted to make my own sword. even if its a real crappy one, it'll be mine.

plus i have no money...

Go to the library and check out 'Back to the Basics' it has instructions for making a forge out of a brake drum.

Gara wrote:

plus i have no money...

Gara,

Go to this site and register on the blacksmith group. One of the members wrote a book on that:
http://metalshapers.org/discussion_group/discussion_groups.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of cooling iron/steel during the manufacturing process?

The purpose of cooling iron/steel is to increase its durability, hardness, and structure. When iron/steel is heated, its atoms become more active and able to move around. By cooling it, the atoms are forced to slow down and pack together tightly, resulting in a stronger and more durable material.

2. How does the cooling process affect the hardness of iron/steel?

Cooling iron/steel quickly, also known as quenching, results in a harder material. This is because the rapid cooling doesn't allow time for the atoms to arrange themselves in a less dense structure. On the other hand, slow cooling, or annealing, results in a softer material as the atoms have more time to settle into a more relaxed structure.

3. Can the cooling process affect the overall structure of iron/steel?

Yes, the cooling process can significantly impact the structure of iron/steel. It can result in fine-grained structures, which are stronger and more durable, or coarse-grained structures, which are weaker and more prone to fracture. The cooling rate, temperature, and composition of the iron/steel all play a role in determining the final structure.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the cooling process and its impact on iron/steel?

Yes, there are several other factors that can influence the cooling process and ultimately affect the durability, hardness, and structure of iron/steel. These include the composition of the alloy, the shape and size of the material, and the external environment, such as air or water temperature.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to the cooling process for iron/steel?

While the cooling process can greatly improve the properties of iron/steel, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. Rapid cooling can result in internal stresses and distortions, which can weaken the material. Additionally, if the cooling process is not done correctly, it can lead to cracks and defects in the final product.