Cooling Lead Shot: Final Temp Calculation

In summary: Change in Q = (5kg) * (128J/kg*C) * Change in T (97.9 - T)Change in Qpb = (5kg) * (128J/kg*C) * Change in T (97.9 - T)Change in Qw = (5kg) * (4187J/kg*C) * Change in T (26 - T)In summary, the final temperature of the mixture is 8002167.5 degrees Celsius.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

5 kg of lead shot at 97.9 °C are poured into 5 kg of water at 26.0 °C. Find the final temperature of the mixture. Use cwater = 4187 [(J)/(kg·° C)] and clead = 128 [(J)/(kg·° C)].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I start this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are the initial energy content of the water and of the lead shot.

The energy must transfer from hot (lead) to cold (water), i.e. the difference (change) in energy content of the lead, which is related to the temperature change, must equal the change in energy of the water.

And ultimately, they have the same temperature.

So can I use Q = mc * change in temperature?

BuBbLeS01 said:
So can I use Q = mc * change in temperature?

Yes - realizing that the lead and water will have the same, as yet to be determined, temperature T.

Q = (Ml * Cl * CH T) + (Mw * Cw * CH T)
Q = CH T * [(Ml * Cl) + (Mw * Cw)]
Q = CH T (21575)
Q = Tf - Ti * (21575)
Tf = (97.9C + 273K) * (21575) = 8002167.5
Was I supposed to subtract the lead and water? Cause that's obviously wrong hehe.

Why am I getting such a huge number?

Does anyone know how to do this?

The lead starts at some temperature Th and cools to temperature T, which one is trying to find, so the temperature change (Th - T) is proportional to thermal energy lost. At the same time, the water is starting at some temperature Tc and heats to temperature T, and the change (T - Tc) is proportional to the heat gained, and that heat (thermal energy) comes from the lead.

Assuming not heat is lost from the system |[itex]\Delta{Q}_{Pb}[/itex]| = |[itex]\Delta{Q}_{water}[/itex]|

and [itex]\Delta{Q}[/itex] = [itex]mc_p\Delta{T}[/itex]

Okay so my m is just the mass of the lead?
Change in Q = (5kg) * (128J/kg*C) * Change in T (97.9 - T)

BuBbLeS01 said:
Okay so my m is just the mass of the lead?
Change in Q = (5kg) * (128J/kg*C) * Change in T (97.9 - T)
That is fine for the lead.

Now do the same for the water.

Change in Qpb = (5kg) * (128J/kg*C) * Change in T (97.9 - T)
Change in Qw = (5kg) * (4187J/kg*C) * Change in T (26 - T)

so I set them equal to each other

1. What is the purpose of cooling lead shot?

The purpose of cooling lead shot is to decrease its temperature to a safe level for handling and storage. When lead shot is used in shooting sports, it can become very hot due to the friction caused by firing from a gun. Cooling the lead shot helps to prevent any accidental burns or injuries.

2. How is the final temperature of lead shot after cooling calculated?

The final temperature of lead shot after cooling can be calculated using the specific heat capacity formula: Q = mcΔT. Q represents the amount of heat energy transferred, m is the mass of the lead shot, c is the specific heat capacity of lead, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What factors can affect the final temperature of lead shot after cooling?

There are several factors that can affect the final temperature of lead shot after cooling. These include the initial temperature of the lead shot, the specific heat capacity of lead, the amount of heat energy transferred, and the surroundings in which the cooling process takes place.

4. Can the final temperature of lead shot be accurately predicted?

It is possible to accurately predict the final temperature of lead shot after cooling using the specific heat capacity formula. However, there may be slight variations depending on factors such as the accuracy of measurements and any external factors that may affect the cooling process.

5. How long does it take for lead shot to cool to a safe temperature?

The time it takes for lead shot to cool to a safe temperature can vary depending on the initial temperature, the amount of heat energy transferred, and the surrounding environment. Generally, it can take a few minutes for lead shot to cool enough to be safely handled and stored.