Calculating Heat Loss from Brake Discs Using Forced Convection

In summary: Forced convection is the process of heat transfer from a hotter object to a colder object. So I think it would be helpful to first determine the specific heat of the brake fluid, and then use that to find the forced convection coefficient.
Davieslad

Homework Statement

Ok, I am designing a brake system for a uni project, as part of this i need to specify the size of the disc's, to prevent the brake fluid from boiling during braking.

Does anyone know of an arbitary formula which will help me calculate the rate of heat loss from the system, caused by the airflow over the discs?

obviously it will vary from design to design, but something to give me an appropriate figure would be amazing.

Homework Equations

Unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't got the first idea where to start with this

many thanks
Ed

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest figuring out what kind of heat you need to dissipate first. As in how much work needs to be done stopping the car and how often, etc.

Because I think you are right that it does vary with designs, but I think you have a number of factors that you need to consider. Not the least of which is how much heat will you be generating that needs dissipating.

i only have very rough figures at the moment, as they are dependant on other parameters of the car, which others are designing, and there not finalised yet, but in simple terms it will be one hell of a lot - its for something weighing ~2000kg from ~400mph (well a parachute brake from 400-200, then wheel and parachute from 200 to stop, however i need to model what would happen should the chute fail), and at present its looking like producing ~100 degrees kelvin per second of full braking without lockup...

I also know i will be using a brake fluid with a dry boiling point of 320 degrees celcius, so there going to need some serious cooling.

Cheers
ed

Davieslad said:
i only have very rough figures at the moment, as they are dependant on other parameters of the car, which others are designing, and there not finalised yet, but in simple terms it will be one hell of a lot - its for something weighing ~2000kg from ~400mph (well a parachute brake from 400-200, then wheel and parachute from 200 to stop, however i need to model what would happen should the chute fail), and at present its looking like producing ~100 degrees kelvin per second of full braking without lockup...

I also know i will be using a brake fluid with a dry boiling point of 320 degrees celcius, so there going to need some serious cooling.

Cheers
ed

Well that that's a little easier already, because the duty cycle issue disappears. 400 to 0 stops don't crop up that many times a minute in normal traffic.

Except of course you will need to determine the continued resistance contribution from the parachute as it changes between viscosity regimes in slowing down. Which is to say I believe that drag has 2 terms that will play varying roles as you slow the car.

But if you are preparing for chute failure, you have some massive energy to worry about.

In the event of chute failure how much time do you have to stop or is there a distance constraint?

There is approximately 6500m of possible braking distance.

Davieslad said:
There is approximately 6500m of possible braking distance.

So at the bare minimum you need to supply what breaking force over that distance? That leads to the watts you need to absorb.

As to your original concerns about brake fluid, how do you see that absorbing all this heat? Which is to say are you talking about pads and drums or do you have some other scheme in mind for braking the wheels?

I already have the brake force (or at least a spreadsheet where i will have the accurate brake force once all values are inputted) and the heat generated by the brakes (again the same as the brake force) per second, and in total over the run.

It is simply the amount of heat that the airflow over the disc rotor and caliper removes from the system.

would i be correct in thinking that an equation for forced convection would suffice? I've been doing some reading, and i think the following formula may work

newton_cooling.gif

will this formula work?

cheers
ed

Davieslad said:
I already have the brake force (or at least a spreadsheet where i will have the accurate brake force once all values are inputted) and the heat generated by the brakes (again the same as the brake force) per second, and in total over the run.

It is simply the amount of heat that the airflow over the disc rotor and caliper removes from the system.

would i be correct in thinking that an equation for forced convection would suffice? I've been doing some reading, and i think the following formula may work

newton_cooling.gif

will this formula work?

cheers
ed

I think the equation itself is OK, but I think developing the underlying heat transfer coefficient for use with the equation may be challenging.

1. How does cooling affect the performance of brake discs?

Cooling is critical for the proper functioning of brake discs. When brake discs overheat, they can lose their ability to effectively slow down or stop a vehicle, leading to safety concerns. Cooling prevents brake fade, which is a decrease in braking power due to overheating, and allows for consistent and reliable braking performance.

2. What are the main factors that affect the cooling of brake discs?

The main factors that affect the cooling of brake discs are the material of the brake disc, the design of the brake system, the speed and weight of the vehicle, and the driving conditions. Different materials and designs can dissipate heat at different rates, while speed and weight can contribute to increased heat generation. Driving conditions such as frequent braking or driving on hilly terrain can also impact the cooling process.

3. How do drilled or slotted brake discs improve cooling?

Drilled or slotted brake discs have holes or slots that allow for better ventilation and heat dissipation compared to solid brake discs. These features also help to remove brake dust and debris from the surface of the disc, allowing for better contact between the brake pads and disc and improving overall cooling performance.

4. Can brake disc cooling be improved through aftermarket modifications?

Yes, there are several aftermarket modifications that can improve the cooling of brake discs. Upgrading to larger brake discs, using high-performance brake pads, and installing brake cooling kits are all options for improving the cooling of brake discs. However, it is important to consult with a professional mechanic to ensure these modifications are compatible with your vehicle and do not compromise safety.

5. How can I tell if my brake discs are overheating?

There are a few signs that can indicate your brake discs are overheating. These include a burning smell, brake fade (decrease in braking power), excessive brake dust, and visible cracks or warping on the surface of the disc. If you experience any of these signs, it is important to have your brake system checked by a professional to prevent potential safety hazards.