Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cooling of metal in vacuum

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    If you put a piece of very hot metal in cold water the heat in the metal will transfer to the water until both are the same temperature. So the system water-metal still has the same initial energy.

So my question is how does the piece of metal cool if it is put on a perfect vacuum.

Is it electromagnetic waves that the metal emits or something like that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Same way the sun transfers its heat energy to the earth - radiant, electromagnetic energy. A large part of such energy resides in the infrared spectrum of the EM radiation.

Zz.

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    Heat transfers via conduction, convection or radiation. Only the last is available in a perfect vacuum. Wikipedia likely has discussions on each.

5. Jan 26, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What about sublimation? :tongue:

6. Jan 26, 2010 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You mean ablation? Or I guess evaporation.

That is the removal of the material itself, carrying away heat with it. I guess, technically, that is simply moving material around, not actually removing heat from the material.

7. Jan 26, 2010 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_(chemistry [Broken]) - so your second guess is correct.

If I have a hot piece of metal in vaccum and it loses part of the energy by evaporating itself, I would call it part of the cooling process, just like evaporation is part of the cooling process of the tea I have on my desk. This is just semantics and it depends on what we understand by "cooling piece of metal".

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook