Can Wet Cloth on a Telescope's Mirror Speed Up Cooling?

In summary, to cool the primary mirror of a Dobsonian telescope, the amateur astronomer can either set up the telescope in its own observatory or cool the scope gradually before observing by pointing it at a blank section of sky.
gloglo
As an amateur astronomer I want my primary mirror (diameter 37 cm) to maintain the same temperature as the air. Small fans on the backside do the job. Only, the air cools quicker during the night than the 1.5 cm thick glass.
Do I obtain a slightly lower temperature on the backside by sticking something wet (cloth?) on the backside, where the fans blow? And thereby cooling the mirror somewhat quicker.
Wet skin, or wet clothes on my skin feels colder when it blows. But does the same principle apply concerning my solid mirror?

Science news on Phys.org
edit: Read post #3 before #2!I can't see water doing anything but insulating it. The glass itself is a much more effective conductor. I'd suggest wrapping the backside with aluminium foil, trying to make as much contact with the glass as possible. I think that would work a lot better than water.

Last edited:
If the humidity is low, then your water idea will promote faster cooling. Google "swamp cooler" to understand why. If humidity is high, then you will have the opposite effect.

Last edited:
gloglo said:
As an amateur astronomer I want my primary mirror (diameter 37 cm) to maintain the same temperature as the air. Small fans on the backside do the job. Only, the air cools quicker during the night than the 1.5 cm thick glass.
Do I obtain a slightly lower temperature on the backside by sticking something wet (cloth?) on the backside, where the fans blow? And thereby cooling the mirror somewhat quicker.
Wet skin, or wet clothes on my skin feels colder when it blows. But does the same principle apply concerning my solid mirror?

Hi there gloglo

Welcome to PF

there are 2 common way to cool the scope and optics before observing

1) for those fortunate enough --- have the scope set up in its own observatory
2) for the less fortunate like me, who can build an observatory because I rent the property
I generally take the scope outside several hours before the planned observing time ... ie. before dark... and let the scope and optics cool down naturally along with the surrounding air.
This has a the advantage that its gradual cooling that doesn't stress the optics and tube assy

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Pointing the scope at a blank section of sky can let the mirror cool by radiation. Just a thought.

Thank you for answers.
I always let the primary mirror cool naturally a couple of hours, before I stow all the parts (Dobsonian) for a short ride to my favourite secret dark observing site, away from street lamps and stray light. A matter of 10 minutes´ride. Then it is assembled, its small fans started, and again it is allowed to cool while I am making time consuming preparations.
I can not at any time measure the temperature in either the mirror or the thin layer of air just above the mirror surface. But I think I start off with approximately the same temperature those two places.
However, during the session the air gradually cools a bit. So does the mirror, but slower. An ever so small difference in temperatures mirror / air has a negative impact on the resolution.
If I could make the backside of the mirror a bit cooler than the surrounding air, I might keep up with the air cooling. I do not want to blow colder air on the backside, since it would slip past the mirror and cool the air in front.

What is the purpose of cooling a primary mirror?

Cooling a primary mirror is essential in order to reduce the effects of thermal expansion. When a mirror is exposed to heat, it expands and changes shape, causing distortion in the image produced. Cooling the mirror helps to maintain its shape and stability, resulting in better image quality.

How is the primary mirror cooled?

The primary mirror can be cooled using various methods such as active cooling, where a cooling system is attached directly to the mirror, or passive cooling, which involves using materials with high thermal conductivity to dissipate heat. In some cases, mirrors are also coated with special materials that reflect infrared radiation, helping to keep them cool.

What is the ideal temperature for cooling a primary mirror?

The ideal temperature for cooling a primary mirror depends on various factors such as the type of telescope and the environmental conditions. However, in general, a temperature range of -10 to -20 degrees Celsius is considered optimal for most telescopes. It is important to note that the temperature should be consistent and stable to avoid fluctuations that can affect the mirror's performance.

What are the consequences of not cooling a primary mirror?

If a primary mirror is not cooled, it can lead to a phenomenon called thermal blooming, where the heat from the mirror causes turbulence in the air, resulting in distorted and blurry images. This can significantly affect the accuracy and resolution of the telescope, making it difficult to capture clear and detailed images of celestial objects.

How long does it take for a primary mirror to cool down?

The time it takes for a primary mirror to cool down depends on various factors such as the size of the mirror, the cooling method used, and the ambient temperature. In general, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for a mirror to reach the desired temperature. It is important to allow enough time for the mirror to cool down before starting any observations to ensure optimal performance.