Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cooling off.

1. Aug 15, 2010 #1
    We got some cool weather today along with some scattered showers. My wife was sitting there in deep concentration so I asked her what she was thinking. She said she was counting the seconds between the lighting flash and the thunder. She said that the light gets here much faster than the sound and you can estimate the distance to the storm by measuring the difference. I said that it wouldn't work since A. Einstein proved that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound in a vacuum, and how stupid she was to say such a thing. I'm not half as stupid as you are she remarked. Oh yes you are said I. She had no comeback for that zinger and so she just sat there with a sheepish grin on her face.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Just tell her you were drunk and you're sorry and it'll be ok.

4. Aug 15, 2010 #3
    After she thinks about that one for a while you are going to be in trouble.

5. Aug 16, 2010 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, nothing can exceed the Hoover velocity.

6. Aug 16, 2010 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Then there's the Hoover radius, within which no dust particle can pass without being sucked permanently into a black bag.

7. Aug 16, 2010 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was a real Eureka moment when they discovered that one!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook