Calculating Mass Flow Rate of Water in a Natural Draught Cooling Tower

In summary, a natural draught cooling tower is designed to have a 3% loss of the mass of the water entering the tower by evaporation into the atmosphere. The air enters at a volume flow rate of 4 m^3/s, a temperature of 10C, and a relative humidity of 50%. It leaves the tower at a saturated condition with a temperature of 34C. The atmospheric pressure is 0.995 bar. The water enters at a temperature of 36C. To find the mass flow rate of water entering the tower, one can use the energy required to heat the air leaving the cooling tower and the moisture content of the air at the inlet and outlet. By subtracting the moisture content and converting
chelonege
A natural draught cooling tower is designed to have a 3% loss of the mass of the water entering the tower by evaporation into the atmosphere. Atmospheric air enters the tower at a volume flow rate of 4 m^3/s a temp of 10C and a relative humidity of 50%. Air leaves the tower in a saturated condition at a temp of 34C. The atm pressure is 0.995 bar. The water enters the tower at a temperature of 36C. Find the mass flow rate of water entering the tower.

The problem is I don't know how to find the h for the water at the outlet, any suggestions? Thx~

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you considered using CpΔT instead of enthalpy? This should be close enough if you use the average heat capacity between temperatures.

The point is if i don't know the outlet temp for water how will i be able to do CpT

I guess you need to assume standard cooling tower outlet conditions - 25 or 30 C maybe. Are there any design parameters to go by?

You know the inlet and outlet conditions for the air. You know the inlet conditions of the water, and that a certain amount of the water is lost due to evaporation. Don't you think you can determine how much water enters the tower based on the amount of energy required to heat the air leaving the cooling tower? The problem does not ask you to find the temperature of the cooled water, only how much enters initially.

But there's one equation and 2 unknowns. So the duty the air supplies, Q = water flow*Cp*(T1-T2). We don't have T2 and mass flow of water. We need to take a different path. We have to use the 3% loss in water mass that leaves the tower as steam.

i agree with Mrmiller, but how can I actually use the 3% and find H... I have been stuck here

You're not trying to find energy here, so I'm not sure what direction you guys are going with the problem. You have the inlet and outlet conditions of the air, so just read from a table or psych chart the moisture content at each, subtract, then convert to mass (then divide by 3%).

1. How do you calculate the mass flow rate of water in a natural draught cooling tower?

The mass flow rate of water in a natural draught cooling tower can be calculated by multiplying the tower's cross-sectional area by the velocity of the water and its density.

2. What is the significance of calculating the mass flow rate in a natural draught cooling tower?

Calculating the mass flow rate of water in a natural draught cooling tower is important for determining the efficiency of the cooling tower and ensuring that it is functioning properly.

3. What factors affect the mass flow rate of water in a natural draught cooling tower?

The mass flow rate of water in a natural draught cooling tower can be influenced by factors such as the tower's size, design, and operating conditions, as well as the properties of the water being cooled.

4. How does the mass flow rate of water in a natural draught cooling tower affect the cooling process?

The mass flow rate of water in a natural draught cooling tower directly affects the rate at which heat is transferred from the water to the surrounding air, which ultimately determines the efficiency of the cooling process.

5. Can the mass flow rate of water in a natural draught cooling tower be controlled?

Yes, the mass flow rate of water in a natural draught cooling tower can be controlled by adjusting the tower's operating conditions, such as the water flow rate and air flow rate, as well as the design and size of the tower.