Cooling water using only work provided by a person

In summary, the assignment requires building a device to cool two liters of water at room temperature using only the energy of the user for 30 minutes. The device must be no larger than 2x2x2 meters and cost no more than €100. Some potential ideas include using the Joule-Thompson cycle, a fridge-like system, a piston, heat exchanger, evaporative cooling, or ice. Suggestions and criticisms are welcome.
paulwiersma
I have received an assignment which requires me to build a device that can cool two liters of water (at room temperature) as much as possible. The only source of energy is me; I can drive the device in whatever way I can. I am allowed to run the device for 30 minutes, and the lowest temperature reached counts. The device can't be bigger than 2x2x2 metres and all of it has to be at room temperature at the beginning. Also, it can't cost more than €100 in materials.

I have some ideas for it, and was wondering if anyone has criticisms or other ideas.

1. use the Joule-Thompson cycle to cool the water. I would drive the compressor with my legs (so like a bicycle).
2. use a fridge-like system, with a phase change. Again, I would drive the compressor.
3. use a piston. If liquid water is forced to be in a low perssure environment, it will want to evaporate. This costs energy which is taken out of the remaining water, which would freeze. This can be done with several liquids, each being cooled in advance by the previous one.
Then a very cold liquid can be dropped in the water which will cool the water.

These are my ideas. Any suggestions or criticisms would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could also try using a heat exchanger. This would involve having a closed loop of liquid flowing through one side, and the water you want to cool on the other side. Heat will be transferred from the water to the liquid in the closed loop, which you can cool using whatever method you choose (such as a fan or a Joule-Thompson cycle). You could also look into evaporative cooling. If you have access to a fan, you can set up a system to blow air across the surface of the water, causing some of it to evaporate and take away the heat in the process. Finally, you could use ice to cool the water. You would just need to buy some ice cubes and place them in the water for 30 minutes, then remove them before they completely melt.

What is the concept of cooling water using only work provided by a person?

The concept of cooling water using only work provided by a person involves using mechanical energy generated by a person's physical movements to transfer heat and cool down water. This process is known as human-powered cooling and is a sustainable and environmentally friendly way to lower the temperature of water.

Can cooling water using only human work be as effective as traditional cooling methods?

Yes, it can be just as effective. Studies have shown that human-powered cooling can achieve the same level of cooling as traditional methods, such as using electricity or refrigerants. However, it may take longer to cool the water using human power compared to other methods.

What are the benefits of cooling water using only work provided by a person?

There are several benefits to human-powered cooling. First, it is a sustainable and eco-friendly method, as it does not require electricity or harmful chemicals. Second, it can be used in remote or off-grid locations where traditional cooling methods may not be available. Lastly, it can also serve as a form of physical exercise for the person generating the work.

Are there any limitations to cooling water using only human work?

One limitation is that it may not be as efficient as traditional cooling methods, particularly for larger volumes of water. It may also require more time and effort to achieve the desired level of cooling. Additionally, it may not be suitable for cooling water in industrial or commercial settings where a constant and significant amount of cooling is needed.

What are some real-world applications of cooling water using only work provided by a person?

Human-powered cooling can be applied in various settings, such as camping, outdoor events, and disaster relief situations. It can also be utilized in developing countries where access to electricity or refrigerants may be limited. Furthermore, some fitness centers have incorporated human-powered cooling equipment as a way for their members to exercise while also contributing to sustainable energy use.