Coordinate Charts: Clarifying Misunderstanding

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of coordinate maps and parametrizations on a manifold. It is clarified that a coordinate map must have a codomain of an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^n## with the standard smooth structure. The person in question is using spherical coordinates as coordinates on ##\mathbb{R}^3##, making ##\psi^{-1}## a coordinate map. There is confusion about whether the codomain of a coordinate map must have Cartesian coordinates, but it is established that it must be an open n-ball and homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^n##. The difference between a coordinate map and a parametrization is also discussed.
ConfusedMonkey
I feel embarrassed to ask this, but I may have a misunderstanding in my understanding of some basics.

I was told that ##\psi: U \rightarrow \psi(U)##, where ##U = (0, \infty) \times (0, \pi) \times (-\pi, \pi)## and ##\psi(\rho, \varphi, \theta) = (\rho\cos\theta\sin\varphi, \rho\sin\theta\sin\varphi, \rho\cos\varphi)##, is not a coordinate map, but that ##\psi^{-1}## is a coordinate map.

But doesn't the co-domain of a coordinate map have to be an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^n## with Cartesian coordinates? The co-domain of ##\psi^{-1}## is a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^3## with spherical coordinates so how could ##\psi^{-1}## be a coordinate map?

EDIT: I should add that I am using the convention that the domain of my coordinate maps are open subsets of my manifold, and the person who corrected me on the ##\psi^{-1}## thing is aware of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The coordinate functions are maps from the manifold to an open set in ##\mathbb R^3##. In your case the manifold itself is ##\mathbb R^3## so it is bound to get a bit confusing about what is what. However, what is intended is to use the spherical coordinates as coordinates on ##\mathbb R^3##. This means ##\psi^{-1}## is the coordinate map in your case.

Likes ConfusedMonkey
Sorry for such a late reply, the last few days have been hectic. Would it be correct to say that the codomain of a coordinate map must be an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^n## with the standard smooth structure (the smooth structure determined by the chart ##(\mathbb{R}^n, Id)##), and since spherical coordinate charts belong to the standard smooth structure then ##\psi^{-1}## is a coordinate map even though its codomain does not have Cartesian coordinates?

ConfusedMonkey said:
Sorry for such a late reply, the last few days have been hectic. Would it be correct to say that the codomain of a coordinate map must be an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^n## with the standard smooth structure (the smooth structure determined by the chart ##(\mathbb{R}^n, Id)##), and since spherical coordinate charts belong to the standard smooth structure then ##\psi^{-1}## is a coordinate map even though its codomain does not have Cartesian coordinates?
Just for the sake of preciseness, it must be an open n-ball, and homeomorphic to ##\mathbb R^n ## itself.

In fact, rho, phi, and theta are cartesian coordinates on your U. and it is fine that your U is an open rectangle, rather than an open ball. It is still diffeomeorphic to R^3. It is true that some authors ask a coordinate nbdh to be a ball, but that is inconvenient in actual examples like this one. Indeed it is more convenient and natural for them to be rectangles in practice. polar coordinates, or rather their inverse parametrization (rcos(theta), rsin(theta)), e.g. carry rectangles to segments of annuli. but r and theta are still cartesian coordinates on the rectangle in (r, theta) space..

Likes ConfusedMonkey
a coordinate map sends points to num,bers, i.e. it assigns coordinates to the points of the manifold. a parametrization maps a domain of numbers ionto points of the manifold. of course it is confusing because the main way we have to describe a manifold is to take a subset of euclidean space, so its points already have numbers. but those numbers do not count as manifold coordinates because they usually do not range over an open set. e.g. the points of the unit sphere in R^3 have "coordinates" x,y,z, but these are not manifold coordinates on the unit sphere because they range only iovr the closed non open set of the sphere. the spherical coordinates phi, theta, however do range over an open set of the phi, theta plane. so they give sherical coordinates at lest on a large open dense subset of the sphere. back in the phi, theta plane however they are actually cartesian coordinates in that plane.

i.e. the map sending a point of the sphere in x,y,z space to the correspoonding pair phi, theta, is called the spherical cordinate map on the sphere. but the map sending a point of the phi. theta plane to the pair phi, theta, is the cartesian coordinate map on that plane. thus the spherical cordinate map is the composition of the map from the sphere to the phi theta plane, followed by the cartesian coordinate maps of that plane to its axes.

Likes WWGD and ConfusedMonkey
mathwonk said:
a coordinate map sends points to num,bers, i.e. it assigns coordinates to the points of the manifold. a parametrization maps a domain of numbers ionto points of the manifold. of course it is confusing because the main way we have to describe a manifold is to take a subset of euclidean space, so its points already have numbers. but those numbers do not count as manifold coordinates because they usually do not range over an open set. e.g. the points of the unit sphere in R^3 have "coordinates" x,y,z, but these are not manifold coordinates on the unit sphere because they range only iovr the closed non open set of the sphere. the spherical coordinates phi, theta, however do range over an open set of the phi, theta plane. so they give sherical coordinates at lest on a large open dense subset of the sphere. back in the phi, theta plane however they are actually cartesian coordinates in that plane.

i.e. the map sending a point of the sphere in x,y,z space to the correspoonding pair phi, theta, is called the spherical cordinate map on the sphere. but the map sending a point of the phi. theta plane to the pair phi, theta, is the cartesian coordinate map on that plane. thus the spherical cordinate map is the composition of the map from the sphere to the phi theta plane, followed by the cartesian coordinate maps of that plane to its axes.
You're right that it does not have to be an open ball, I just did not have a simple way of saying it had to be an open subset homeomorphic to ## \mathbb R^n ##.

Thank you for the excellent explanation mathwonk - you addressed my confusion exactly.

1. What are coordinate charts?

Coordinate charts are visual representations of data points on a graph. They use a system of coordinates, typically an x-axis and y-axis, to plot and display data in a meaningful and organized way.

2. How are coordinate charts different from other types of charts?

Coordinate charts are unique in that they use a grid system to plot data points, whereas other types of charts, such as pie charts or bar graphs, use different visual elements to represent data. Coordinate charts are also more versatile, as they can handle both numerical and categorical data.

3. What is the purpose of using coordinate charts?

The main purpose of using coordinate charts is to visually represent and analyze data in a way that is easy to understand and interpret. They can help identify patterns, trends, and relationships between data points, making it easier to draw conclusions and make decisions based on the data.

4. How do I choose the right type of coordinate chart for my data?

The type of coordinate chart to use depends on the type of data you have and the purpose of your analysis. For example, if you have two numerical variables and want to see how they are related, a scatter plot would be appropriate. If you have multiple categories of data and want to compare them, a bar graph or line graph may be more suitable.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about coordinate charts?

One common misconception about coordinate charts is that they are only useful for displaying linear relationships between data points. In reality, they can also show non-linear relationships, such as exponential or logarithmic functions. Additionally, coordinate charts are often thought of as strictly quantitative tools, but they can also be used to visualize qualitative data.