1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate geometry - circles.

1. Aug 11, 2004 #1
    I'm just introducing myself to coordinate geometry in the xy plane of cirlces.
    Here's a question i'm having trouble with:

Q11: The line with equation y=mx is a tangent to the circle with equation x^2 + y^2 - 6x - 6y + 17 = 0. Find the possible values of m.

At first i thought i'd try substituting y=mx into the curve equation, but i was still left with 2 unknowns. I don't really know what to do here. Could anyone offer some advice? Thanks.
    The answer is (9 (+ or -) root 17) / 8

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2004 #2
    After substituting you should have

[tex]x^2-m^2x^2-6x-6mx+17=0[/tex]

Rearrange this and you get

[tex](1+m^2)x^2 - (6m+6)x + 17 = 0[/tex]

Let a = 1 + m2, b = -(6m + 6) and c = 17. Then use the quadratic equation (and remember that you want the expression under the square root to be greater than or equal to 0).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  4. Aug 11, 2004 #3
    Your latex looks ok. Do you mean rearrange to form:
    x^2 ( 1+ m^2) - x(6m+1) + 17 = 0 ?

Edit: Ah yes you typed that below. I'll try that now.

5. Aug 11, 2004 #4
    I re-edited my post. Please have a look.

6. Aug 11, 2004 #5
    I get it. So you say that b^2 - 4ac = 0. Then form yet another quadratic equation, tidy up and simplify. I haven't had much experience of using brackets as coefficients in the quadratic equation but that's something i'm going to remember for the future.

Thanks for the help!

7. Aug 11, 2004 #6
    That should be b2 - 4ac ≥ 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?