Coordinate geometry - circles.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the possible values of m for a line that is tangent to a specific circle in the xy plane. The suggested approach is to substitute y=mx into the circle's equation and use the quadratic formula with coefficients a = 1 + m^2, b = -(6m + 6), and c = 17. The conversation also mentions the importance of ensuring the expression under the square root is greater than or equal to 0. It is also noted that using brackets as coefficients in the quadratic equation can be useful.
Gaz031
I'm just introducing myself to coordinate geometry in the xy plane of cirlces.
Here's a question I'm having trouble with:

Q11: The line with equation y=mx is a tangent to the circle with equation x^2 + y^2 - 6x - 6y + 17 = 0. Find the possible values of m.

At first i thought i'd try substituting y=mx into the curve equation, but i was still left with 2 unknowns. I don't really know what to do here. Could anyone offer some advice? Thanks.
The answer is (9 (+ or -) root 17) / 8

Physics news on Phys.org
After substituting you should have

[tex]x^2-m^2x^2-6x-6mx+17=0[/tex]

Rearrange this and you get

[tex](1+m^2)x^2 - (6m+6)x + 17 = 0[/tex]

Let a = 1 + m2, b = -(6m + 6) and c = 17. Then use the quadratic equation (and remember that you want the expression under the square root to be greater than or equal to 0).

Last edited:
Your latex looks ok. Do you mean rearrange to form:
x^2 ( 1+ m^2) - x(6m+1) + 17 = 0 ?

Edit: Ah yes you typed that below. I'll try that now.

I re-edited my post. Please have a look.

I get it. So you say that b^2 - 4ac = 0. Then form yet another quadratic equation, tidy up and simplify. I haven't had much experience of using brackets as coefficients in the quadratic equation but that's something I'm going to remember for the future.

Thanks for the help!

That should be b2 - 4ac ≥ 0.

1. What is the equation for a circle in coordinate geometry?

The equation for a circle with center (h,k) and radius r is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2.

2. How do you find the center and radius of a circle given its equation?

To find the center and radius of a circle given its equation, you must first rearrange the equation into the standard form (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2. The values of h and k will be the coordinates of the center of the circle, while the square root of r^2 will be the radius.

3. Can a circle have a negative radius?

No, a circle cannot have a negative radius. The radius of a circle represents the distance from the center to any point on the circle, and distance cannot be negative.

4. What is the distance formula for finding the distance between two points on a circle?

The distance formula for finding the distance between two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) on a circle is d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2), where d is the distance between the points.

5. How do you prove that a line is tangent to a circle?

To prove that a line is tangent to a circle, you must show that the line intersects the circle at exactly one point. This can be done by finding the equation of the line and the equation of the circle, and then substituting one into the other to find the point of intersection. If the point of intersection is the same for both equations, the line is tangent to the circle.