1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate geometry query

1. Jan 23, 2006 #1
    Not actually homework, but just a general query...

I'm trying to write a program that will predict the trajectory of a moving point by analysing several positions through which the point has passed.

Part of this involves finding the coordiantes of a point B, given the coordinates of another point A, the length of AB and its gradient. Obviously there are two possible points... one to the right A and one to the left, but I'm only interested in the one to the right.

I basically need two simple formulae in terms of the x and y coordinates of B, which I can apply in the program itself, although I wouldn't mind knowing how the formula was reached as well :smile:

I've tried getting my head around it but I'm just getting confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

I'm not sure what you mean by the gradient. Is that the slope of the line connecting A to B? Are you asking how to find a point B=(x2,y2) given a point A=(x1,y1), and the length L and slope m of AB?

If so, this can be found by pretending A is at (0,0) (you can add the coordinates of A back in at then end). Then the line containing AB has the equation y=mx, so that points along the line have coordinates like (x,mx). The distance from A to a point (x,mx) is [itex]\sqrt{x^2+m^2 x^2}=x\sqrt{1+m^2}[/itex]. Then you want to solve for x using [itex]L= x\sqrt{1+m^2}[/itex]. This x is the difference between the x values of A and B, and multiplying it by m gives the difference between the y values.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?