Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate Geometry question help!

1. Apr 1, 2005 #1
    Hi there, i've been struggling with this question for days :cry: :confused: :grumpy: :yuck: , the first part where they call me to prove that equation, i could do it.....the second one i don't know how to do...could anyone help me? how do i find the locus equation? its so confusing..... ty in advance.

If the normal at P(ap^2, 2ap) to the parabola y^2=4ax meets the curve again at Q(aq^2,2aq), prove that p^2 + pq + 2 = 0. Prove that the equation of the locus of the point of intersection of the tangents at P and Q to the parabola is y^2(x + 2a) + 4a^3 = 0.

^ means to the power of...
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2005 #2
    I know I'm supposed to give hints not complete solutions, but I really didn't know what kind of hint to give...

The equation of the tangent to the parabola at the point (at^2, 2at) is:
    y = (1/t)x + at (I'll leave the proof for you.)

Using this equation for points P and Q, we get:
    y = (1/p)x + ap
    y = (1/q)x + aq

Solving these simultaneously twice (once for x and once for y), we get:
    (1) pq = x/a
    (2) p+q = y/a

Re-writing (1) as q=x/(ap), then using it in (2) gives us:
    p^2 = (py-x)/a

Now using p^2+pq+2=0 with the values for p^2 and q we just obtained gives us:
    (py-x)/a + x/a + 2 = 0
    p = (-2a)/y

Now re-writing (2) as q=(y^2+2a)/ay and using the value of p we just obtained in (1) yields:
    pq = (-2y^2 - 4a^2)/y^2 = x/a

Upon multiplying it out we get:
    -2ay^2 - 4a^3 = xy^2

xy^2 + 2ay^2 + 4a^3 = 0
    y^2(x+2a) + 4a^3 = 0, as required.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?