Coordinate Geometry: Finding the Locus of a Midpoint on a Curve

In summary, the problem involves proving that the locus of the midpoint of a line segment between a fixed point and a variable point on the curve y2 = x3 is given by the equation y2 = 2(x-1)3. This can be done by first finding the coordinates of the midpoint in terms of a parameter t, simplifying the equation, and then expressing the y-coordinate directly in terms of x.
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

A variable point P lies on the curve y2 = x3 and is joined to a fixed point A with coordinate (2,0). Prove that the locus of the mid-point of AP is y2= 2(x-1)3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to what i know, I need to know the parameter for the curve y2 = x3 to prove it, but what is the parameter for the curve y2 = x3? Can anyone guide me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael_Light said:

Homework Statement

A variable point P lies on the curve y2 = x3 and is joined to a fixed point A with coordinate (2,0). Prove that the locus of the mid-point of AP is y2= 2(x-1)3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to what i know, I need to know the parameter for the curve y2 = x3 to prove it, but what is the parameter for the curve y2 = x3? Can anyone guide me?

Start with a generalised point on the curve. Let the x-coordinate of the point be t. What will the y-coordinate be in terms of t?

Now work out the midpoint of the segment AP. This is as simple as taking the average of the coordinates of the point of the curve and the fixed point (2,0).

You now have the co-ordinates of the general midpoint. This is a parametric equation in terms of t. Undo the parametrisation to express the y-coord. directly in terms of x, simplify and you should quickly have the result.

1. What is coordinate geometry?

Coordinate geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of geometric figures using a coordinate system. It involves the use of algebraic equations to describe and analyze the properties of geometric shapes such as points, lines, and curves.

2. How do you plot points on a coordinate plane?

To plot a point on a coordinate plane, you need to have two coordinates - the x-coordinate (horizontal) and the y-coordinate (vertical). Start by marking the x-coordinate on the horizontal axis and then the y-coordinate on the vertical axis. The point where the two coordinates intersect is the plotted point.

3. What is the distance formula in coordinate geometry?

The distance formula in coordinate geometry is used to find the distance between two points on a coordinate plane. It is given by d = √[(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2], where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

4. How do you find the slope of a line in coordinate geometry?

The slope of a line in coordinate geometry is a measure of its steepness or incline. It is given by the formula m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are any two points on the line. The slope can also be determined by looking at the coefficient of the x-term in the equation of the line.

5. What are the different types of angles in coordinate geometry?

In coordinate geometry, there are three types of angles - right angle, acute angle, and obtuse angle. A right angle measures 90 degrees, an acute angle measures less than 90 degrees, and an obtuse angle measures more than 90 degrees. These angles can be formed by the intersection of two lines on a coordinate plane.