1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate geometry

1. Jul 24, 2004 #1
    just wanna ask a simple question

a quadrilateral has the vertices A ( 1,4 ), B (9,5 ) , C ( 5,-2) and D (-3,-3). show that the quadrilateral is a rhombus

what i do is find gradient AB, CD, AD and BC.
    and then state which and which have the same gradient... and hence the opposite sides are parallel.

is that all i should do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unless they're doing something tricky, the sides should be AB, BC, DC, and AD. Show that AB = DC, BC = AD, and |AB| = |BC|, and you're done. Basically a rhombus as two defining properties:

1) all four sides have the same length
    2) opposite sides are parallel

In truth, it's sufficient to simply show that all four sides have the same length, and property 2 will follow, so that's one alternative approach. I would say try both, and see which one feels easier/more efficient. As for your approach, I don't know what you mean by gradient, so I can't say whether it will work or not.

4. Jul 24, 2004 #3
    The two sufficient conditions to prove are:

1. All 4 sides are equal (opposite sides are parallel).
    2. The diagonals are not equal.

AKG: By gradient, denian means slope of a line joining [tex](x_{1}, y_{1})[/tex] and [tex](x_{2}, y_{2})[/tex] defined as:

[tex]
    m = \frac{y_{2}-y_{1}}{x_{2}-x_{1}}
    [/tex]

Cheers
    Vivek

5. Jul 26, 2004 #4
    thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?