Find 4th Tangent for 2 Circles Coordinate Geometry

In summary: Graphing the two circles may lead one to think that the circles share a point of tangency. I did just that using Wolfram Alpha. I then included the given line, 3x + 4y = 12, and zoomed-in.Nice pictures SammyS! A pair of tangent lines to two circles are mirror images of each other to the line that connects the centre of the circles. The centres of the circles (x-1)2+(y-1)2=1 and (x-6)2+(y-6)2=36 are (1,1) and (6,6); both lie on the y=x line. So a graph of the circles and
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

2 circles have the equation x2+y2-2x-2y+1=0 and x2+y2-12x-12y+36=0 respectively. Both circle touches the x-axis, y-axis and the line 3x + 4y = 12. Find the fourth tangent of the 2 circles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is second part of the question, I solved the first part which require to find the equation of the 2 circles... And now i stuck at this final part... can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The line 3x+4y is not tangent to the circles. Show the original problem, please.

ehild

Its 3x + 4y = 12... not 3x+4y=0...

Well, I wanted to say 3x+4y=12. Check if it is tangent to the circles.

ehild

ehild said:
Well, I wanted to say 3x+4y=12. Check if it is tangent to the circles.

ehild

I find that it is tangent to the circles. Perhaps you miscalculated??

But it's a good starter question to the OP: how do you check whether a line is tangent to the circle??

If a line is tangent to the circle, then the perpendicular distance from the center of the circle to the given line is equals to the radius of the circle...

So what is the trick to find fourth tangent of the 2 circles? I cannot figure out how to find it..:confused:

The common tangent line has one common point with both circles. So the equation of a circle and that of the line have a single solution.
Draw those circles. The symmetry of the figure gives you hint about the other tangent.

ehild

Last edited:
micromass said:
I find that it is tangent to the circles. Perhaps you miscalculated??

Thank you, micromass!
You are right, my calculator played tricks with me. It IS a tangent line.

ehild

ehild said:
The common tangent line has one common point with both circles. So the equation of a circle and that of the line have a single solution.
Draw those circles. The symmetry of the figure gives you hint about the other tangent.

ehild

ehild said:
Thank you, micromass!
You are right, my calculator played tricks with me. It IS a tangent line.

ehild
Graphing the two circles may lead one to think that the circles share a point of tangency. I did just that using Wolfram Alpha. I then included the given line, 3x + 4y = 12, and zoomed-in.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42254&stc=1&d=1325083626.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=42256&stc=1&d=1325083606.gif

Attachments

• wolframalpha-20111228084230336.gif
    wolframalpha-20111228084230336.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 506
  • wolframalpha-20111228084340723.gif
    wolframalpha-20111228084340723.gif
    9 KB · Views: 426
  • wolframalpha-20111228084414549.gif
    wolframalpha-20111228084414549.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 494
Nice pictures SammyS!

A pair of tangent lines to two circles are mirror images of each other to the line that connects the centre of the circles.
The centres of the circles (x-1)2+(y-1)2=1 and (x-6)2+(y-6)2=36 are (1,1) and (6,6); both lie on the y=x line. So a graph of the circles and the tangent lines is invariant when x and y are exchanged. With the change x<=>y in the equation of a tangent line, you get the other one.

ehild

1. What is the formula for finding the 4th tangent for 2 circles in coordinate geometry?

The formula for finding the 4th tangent for 2 circles in coordinate geometry is given by:
x = (x1r2 + x2r1)/(r1 + r2)
where x1 and x2 are the x-coordinates of the centers of the two circles, and r1 and r2 are the radii of the two circles.

2. How do you know when there are no tangents between 2 circles in coordinate geometry?

You can determine if there are no tangents between 2 circles in coordinate geometry by calculating the distance between the centers of the circles. If the distance is greater than the sum of the radii, then there are no tangents between the circles.

3. Can there be more than one 4th tangent between 2 circles in coordinate geometry?

Yes, it is possible for there to be more than one 4th tangent between 2 circles in coordinate geometry. This occurs when the distance between the centers of the circles is equal to the sum of the radii, resulting in two tangents being formed between the circles.

4. How can I find the coordinates of the points of tangency for the 4th tangent between 2 circles?

To find the coordinates of the points of tangency for the 4th tangent between 2 circles, you can use the formula:
y = y1 ± √(r^2 - (x - x1)^2)
where y1 is the y-coordinate of the center of the circle and x is the x-coordinate of the point of tangency. You can substitute this formula into the equation for the 4th tangent to find the coordinates of the points of tangency.

5. Can I use the formula for finding the 4th tangent for 2 circles in coordinate geometry for circles on a 3D plane?

No, the formula for finding the 4th tangent for 2 circles in coordinate geometry is specifically for circles on a 2D plane. For circles on a 3D plane, a different formula would need to be used to find the points of tangency.