1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate problem

1. Jan 18, 2005 #1
    at (2,3,-4) express the unit vector z in spherical terms.
    express the unit vector r in rectangular terms.

for the first part, would it just be (1,X,0)
    fi should be zero because thats the angle the line makes with the z axis, and since this is going to be parallel to the z-axis this should be zero and theta shouldnt matter. and the unit vector r should just be the point made into a vector right? since the unit vector r is pointing away from the origin. so at (2,3,-4) its going to be in the direction of (2,3,-4).
    should it have a different magnitude?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2
    I assume (2,3,-4) describes a position vector

By definition a unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1.
    so in the rectangular system, you result should be a vector with the same direction of (2,3,-4) but with a magnitude of 1.

for your answer in spherical coordinates it seems wrong, but maybe I am misunderstanding the question... It seems that you are asking to convert the position vector (2,3,-4) into a unit vector and give the answer in spherical coordinates. Is that right? if so then your answer is incorrect as it is not parallel to the z axis since it has both nonzero x and y components and thus would make an angle wrt both the z axis and the x axis.
  4. Jan 18, 2005 #3
    (2,3,-4) is a point. it wants me to represent the z unit vector in the spherical system. basically i think it wants me to represent the z unit vector from that point using spherical coordinates.
  5. Jan 18, 2005 #4
    I really doubt that is what they are asking you, because that is basically pointless, If it is, than I don't know what to tell you,,, I'm not saying its impossible, but I wouldn't know. It seems much more likely that they want you to describe the unit vector having the same direction as the position vector (2,3,-4) but in spherical coordinates.
  6. Jan 18, 2005 #5
    heres exactly what it says
    at point T(2,3,-4) express a sub z in the spherical system and a sub r in the rectangular system.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?