1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate system

1. Aug 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I will to explain this without a diagram. Consider a coordinate system(1st quadrant) where the x and y-axis both stop at 7 units (i mean the boundary), there are two points P(3,3) and Q(4,4). How many points can R be positioned such that PQR is an isosceles triangle.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got 6.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Well I had quite a few and started counting them... Eventually I counted up to infinite different possible points :tongue:

There are actually 3 paths the point R can trace, a line and 2 circles. See if you can find them.

4. Aug 3, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then you haven't given all the information. Are you talking about a "mesh" where the points must have integer components? As you give it, any point on the perpendicular bisector of PQ works and there are an infinite number of them.

5. Aug 3, 2010 #4
    yeah sorry, it must be of integer components where you can precisely represent that particular point on the plane.

My 6 points are

(5,2) , (2,5) , (6,1) , (1,6) , (7,0) , (0,7)

6. Aug 3, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yet the distance between P and Q is not an integer.
    Anyway, this means we have the two equations

[tex]\sqrt{(x-4)^2+(y-4)^2}=n[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{(x-3)^2+(y-3)^2}=n[/tex]

where n is an integer, to solve simultaneously.
    After simplifying, we find the perpendicular bisector of PQ to be the line x+y-7=0
    Now just use all possible integer values of x and y such that x+y=7.

I don't know if I should scrap the idea of the point R can trace that are circles rather than this line, because that means we have to use a non-integer value for another length.

7. Aug 4, 2010 #6
    sigh.. 8 points then including (4,3) , (3,4)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook