1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate Systems

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Graph the surface in R3

2. Relevant equations
    Spherical equation [tex]\rho[/tex] = 2asin([tex]\varphi[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think its just a sphere with a radius of 2

Graph the solid whose given coordinates satisfy the inequalities

2. Relevant equations
    a) 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] r [tex]\leq[/tex] 3, 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\pi[/tex]/2, -1 [tex]\leq[/tex] z [tex]\leq[/tex] 2
    b) 2r [tex]\leq[/tex] z [tex]\leq[/tex] 5 - 3r

I figure these are cylinders because of variables used to describe the coordinates but besides that I'm having trouble know what to use the inequalities for

Graph the solid whose given coordinates satisfy the inequalities

2. Relevant equations
    a) 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\rho[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] 1, 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\pi[/tex]/2,
    b) 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\rho[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] 2/cos[tex]\varphi[/tex], 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\varphi[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\pi[/tex]/4

Spheres, but same problem as with the others, I'm just not doing well at understanding how to use the inequalities to graph it

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi STLCards002! :smile:

Sorry, but everything is wrong. :cry:

The only thing I can suggest is that you draw a nice big diagram (take up a whole page), with x y and z axes marked, and just draw in the boundaries.

If it helps, pretend the inequalities are equalities … that will give you the boundaries, and you can work out which parts to shade, later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?