Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate transforms

1. Mar 23, 2004 #1
    Does anyone know of an “Idiot’s Guide to Coordinate Transforms…”, or good rules of thumb to employ to determine the “proper” set of coordinates for a particular problem? I’m not really having any trouble with the mathematical machinery like finding the Jacobian, etc.; my problem is actually determining a useful set of coordinates. I would appreciate any effort to point me to a reference or in the proper direction. Thanks in advance,
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The coordinates to choose might be implied by the shape of the domain of the integration.

If you had say the diamond going through the points (1,0) (0,1) (-1,0) (0,-1) then the equations of the boundary are things like: x+/-y=+/-1
    suggesting the best coordinates are u=x+y and v=x-y, as u and v range between -1 and 1.

Sometimes the integrand will imply what to pick: anything with a sqrt(x^2+y^2) might be tractable with polars.

Do lots of examples. It is the only way to learn to do, erm, examples.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?