Coordinates of a point outside a plane

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the coordinates of point G given 3D coordinates of points A, B, and C and the distances AG, BG, and CG. The solution is not unique and depends on the given information and assumptions about the location of point G. Multiple equations and trigonometry can be used to solve for the coordinates of point G.
Vivio
Hello,

If you can get me a hint for solving this matter it would be much appreciated.

I have the 3D coordinates of three points on a plane A, B, C.

There's another point G and we know AG, BG, CG.

My problem is to find the coordinates of point G:cry:

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
G=(A+AG,B+BG,C+CG) unless I don't understand what you are saying.

If you are given:

A=(A_1,A_2,A_3)
B=(B_1,B_2,B_3)
C=(C_1,C_2,C_3)

And you want to find G=(G_1,G_2,G_3), then knowing:

1) AG=|A-G|=((A_1-G_1)^2+(A_2-G_2)^2+(A_3-G_3)^2)^(1/2)
2) BG=|B-G|
3) CG=|C-G|

is not enough information.

Let h be the perpendicular distance from G to the plane. Then if A, B, and C and there is another point G' on the other side of the plane with perpendicular distance h from the plane also satisfynig 1, 2 and 3 so the solution is not unique. If A, B, and C are collinear you can find an entire circle of points satisfying 1, 2 and 3.

If you know that the A, B, and C are not collinear and which side of the plane G is on, then you can solve for the components of G using the distance formula or trigonometry.

Thanks mathman and sin(1/x) for your input :shy:.

I've made a drawing with the problem. I hope all the data are there.

Sorry for my omissions.

Attachments

• Position.jpg
    Position.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 437
I get it now. G=A + |AG|a = B + |BG|b = C + |CG|c, where a,b,c are (unknown) unit vectors. By eliminating G, you will have 6 linear equations for the coordinates of a,b, and c. Using the fact they are unit vectors gives 3 quadratic equations. Solving for them will give you the vectors a,b,c. There will be 2 true solutions. When you solve the quadratics there will be extra solutions, so you need to check to see if you get the same value for G from a given set a,b,c.

Last edited:

What are coordinates of a point outside a plane?

Coordinates of a point outside a plane are a set of numbers that specify the location of the point in relation to the plane. They consist of an x-coordinate, y-coordinate, and z-coordinate.

How do I determine the coordinates of a point outside a plane?

To determine the coordinates of a point outside a plane, you can use the distance formula to find the distance between the point and any three points on the plane. Then, you can use that distance to calculate the coordinates using the equation x = x1 + d(cosα), y = y1 + d(sinα), z = z1 + d(tanβ), where x1, y1, and z1 are the coordinates of the known points on the plane, and α and β are the angles between the point and the x-axis and y-axis, respectively.

Why are coordinates of a point outside a plane important?

Coordinates of a point outside a plane are important because they allow us to specify the location of a point in three-dimensional space. This is useful in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering, where three-dimensional calculations and representations are necessary.

Can the coordinates of a point outside a plane be negative?

Yes, the coordinates of a point outside a plane can be negative. This is because the x, y, and z axes can extend in both positive and negative directions, creating a three-dimensional coordinate system.

How do I plot a point with given coordinates outside a plane?

To plot a point with given coordinates outside a plane, you can first draw the plane and label the known points and their coordinates. Then, using the equations mentioned in the second question, you can calculate the coordinates of the point and plot it on the plane using a ruler and protractor.