How Do I Convert Celestial Coordinates to Geographic Coordinates?

• Thread starter fasterthanjoao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinates
In summary, to convert from equatorial coordinates to geographic coordinates, you need to know the observer's location and use specific formulas to calculate the transformation.
fasterthanjoao
Hi folks,

Have a query that should be simple were it not for my lack of positional understanding - if I have a location for an object, say a star, in a celestial coordinate system (equatorial coordinates is my partciular interest) - what are the transforms to a geographic system? Obviously with the Earths rotation a single celestial coordinate will correspond to many geographic coordinates unique to a particular, known, position here on Earth - I'm not bothered about calculating during which time the object will be above the horizon.

thanks,

fj

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The transformation from equatorial coordinates to geographic coordinates depends on the location of the observer. To convert from equatorial coordinates to geographic coordinates, you will need to know the observer's longitude and latitude. From there, you can use formulas to calculate the geographic coordinates of the object based on its equatorial coordinates. You can find more detailed information about this process online.

1. What is a coordinates query?

A coordinates query is a type of search query used in geographic information systems (GIS) to retrieve data based on a specific location or set of coordinates.

2. How do I perform a coordinates query?

To perform a coordinates query, you will need a set of coordinates (latitude and longitude) for the location you want to retrieve data for. You can then enter these coordinates into a GIS software or web mapping application to retrieve the corresponding data.

3. What types of data can be retrieved through a coordinates query?

A coordinates query can retrieve a wide range of data, including maps, satellite imagery, demographic information, land use data, and more. The type of data that can be retrieved will depend on the specific GIS software or web mapping application being used.

4. Are there different coordinate systems for performing a coordinates query?

Yes, there are different coordinate systems used for performing a coordinates query. The most commonly used systems are latitude/longitude (decimal degrees) and Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM). It is important to use the correct coordinate system for your location to ensure accurate results.

5. Can a coordinates query be used for any location on Earth?

Yes, a coordinates query can be used for any location on Earth as long as the location has a set of coordinates associated with it. This includes both land and water locations.