Coordination in a zincblende lattice

• Thread starter Beer-monster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lattice
In summary, the coordination numbers for Zincblende in order from nearest to next nearest to next next nearest neighbors are 4, 12, and 12 respectively. The calculation of the next-next-nearest coordination number was determined by considering each of the three major planes and counting the number of equivalent connections. It is also reasonable to assume that the value of the madelung constant should be close to the databook value after three terms.
Beer-monster

Homework Statement

Could someone please confirm my answers for the coordination numbers in Zincblende going from nearest to next nearest to next next nearest neighbours. I'm trying to estimate the value of the madelung constant for ZnS, but am getting too large a value. I'm fairly sure that my calculation of neighbour distances is accurate, which leaves a problem with my coordination numbers.

Homework Equations

This diagram might be helpful for reference.

http://cnx.org/content/m16927/latest/graphics17.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Nearest neighbours: CN = 4 (tetragonal site)

Next-nearest neighbours: CN= 12 (anions and cations form fcc lattice amongst themselves)

Next-next-nearest neighbours (this is the one I'm unsure about) CN=12.

I got this answer by considering each of the three major planes (001)(010)(100). Each plane forms a chessboard pattern with anions at the vertices and cations in the centre of the black squares. I counted the number of equivalent next-next nearest connections (i.e. from a corner to the centre of the second closest black square) as 4 in each plane. Therefore we have a CN=3x4=12 in total.

Is this correct?

I am also making the assumption that the value of the constant should be close to the databook value even after 3 terms (is this reasonable)?

Thanks for your help, let me know if anything above is not clear.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your answer is correct. The coordination number for the next-next-nearest neighbors is indeed 12. And yes, it is reasonable to assume that the value of the madelung constant should be close to the databook value after three terms.

1. What is a zincblende lattice?

A zincblende lattice is a type of crystal lattice structure that is commonly found in zinc sulfide (ZnS) and other compound semiconductors. It is a face-centered cubic (FCC) lattice with alternating layers of two different types of atoms, typically zinc and sulfur.

2. How is coordination defined in a zincblende lattice?

Coordination in a zincblende lattice refers to the number of nearest neighbor atoms surrounding a central atom. In this type of lattice, each atom is surrounded by four nearest neighbor atoms, resulting in a coordination number of 4.

3. How does coordination affect the properties of a zincblende lattice?

The coordination number in a zincblende lattice plays a significant role in determining its physical and chemical properties. For example, a higher coordination number can lead to a denser and more stable lattice structure, while a lower coordination number can result in a more open and reactive structure.

4. What is the significance of coordination in semiconductor materials?

In semiconductor materials, coordination plays a crucial role in determining the electronic and optical properties. For example, the coordination number can affect the band gap energy, which is important for determining the material's conductivity and light absorption properties. A higher coordination number can also lead to stronger covalent bonds, resulting in a higher melting point and thermal stability.

5. How is coordination in a zincblende lattice studied?

Coordination in a zincblende lattice can be studied using various experimental techniques, such as X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, and spectroscopy. The coordination number can also be calculated using theoretical models and simulations based on the lattice structure and atomic coordinates.