How Do I Calculate the Coordination Number for FCC?

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fcc
In summary, when determining coordination numbers, any atom can be considered and all nearest atoms across multiple unit cells must be taken into account. The number of nearest neighbors is determined by finding the closest atoms and counting only those that are the same distance away. Simple structures like sc, bcc, and fcc have coordination numbers of 6, 8, and 12 respectively due to the arrangement of atoms in their unit cells. To better understand this, it is helpful to draw or use a physical model of the structures.
member 392791
When doing these coordination numbers, which atom do I consider? Am I supposed to use only one unit cell to determine the number? When counting the number of nearest neighbors, does it mean literally that only the number of atoms with the shortest distance can be counted, meaning you find the closest neighbor, and only neighbors that are that same distance can be counted?

I can't figure out how sc, bcc, and fcc have numbers of 6, 8, and 12 respectively

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi Woopydalan!

Woopydalan said:
When doing these coordination numbers, which atom do I consider?

Any atom, the simple structures(similar atom structure) have same co-ordination number for each atom.

Am I supposed to use only one unit cell to determine the number?

No, you have to consider all the nearest atoms to your selected atom, across all unit cells.

When counting the number of nearest neighbors, does it mean literally that only the number of atoms with the shortest distance can be counted, meaning you find the closest neighbor, and only neighbors that are that same distance can be counted?

Yes.

I can't figure out how sc, bcc, and fcc have numbers of 6, 8, and 12 respectively

Try drawing out each structure and find all possible neighbors for each. I'll try explaining SC. For this, consider one atom at the vertex of the unit cell cube. There are three atoms near this atom, on x,y,z axes IN that unit cell. There are also atoms on the -x, -y, -z axes of different unit cells. That makes 6 atoms in total, which is the co-ordination number.

Woopydalan said:

Get a model of those structures. There are some animations online, I'm sure, but physical models work best.

What is the coordination number for fcc?

The coordination number for fcc (face-centered cubic) is 12. This means that each atom in an fcc lattice is surrounded by 12 nearest neighbor atoms.

How is the coordination number for fcc determined?

The coordination number for fcc is determined by counting the number of nearest neighbor atoms that are in direct contact with a central atom. In an fcc lattice, there are 12 nearest neighbor atoms in direct contact with each central atom.

What is the significance of the coordination number for fcc?

The coordination number for fcc is significant because it helps to determine the packing efficiency and stability of the lattice structure. In fcc lattices, the high coordination number of 12 leads to a high packing efficiency, making it a common structure for many metallic elements and alloys.

How does the coordination number for fcc compare to other lattice structures?

The coordination number for fcc is higher than other common lattice structures such as bcc (body-centered cubic) and hcp (hexagonal close-packed). Bcc has a coordination number of 8, while hcp has a coordination number of 12 for the top and bottom layers and 6 for the middle layer.

Can the coordination number for fcc change?

Yes, the coordination number for fcc can change if the lattice structure is distorted or under external stresses. For example, in the presence of defects or dislocations, the coordination number may decrease from 12 to a lower number. However, in ideal fcc structures, the coordination number remains constant at 12.