Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum Theory

In summary, the poll found that the majority of scientists believe in the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.
setAI said:
the Copenhagen Interpretation hasn't been 'dominant' for many years -

“Political scientist" L David Raub reports a poll of 72 of the "leading
cosmologists and other quantum field theorists" about the "Many-Worlds
Interpretation" and gives the following response breakdown [T].

1) "Yes, I think MWI is true" 58%
2) "No, I don't accept MWI" 18%
3) "Maybe it's true but I'm not yet convinced" 13%
4) "I have no opinion one way or the other" 11%

Amongst the "Yes, I think MWI is true" crowd listed are Stephen Hawking
and Nobel Laureates Murray Gell-Mann and Richard Feynman. Gell-Mann and
Hawking recorded reservations with the name "many-worlds", but not with
the theory's content. Nobel Laureate Steven Weinberg is also mentioned
as a many-worlder, although the suggestion is not when the poll was
conducted, presumably before 1988 (when Feynman died). The only "No,
I don't accept MWI" named is Penrose.

The findings of this poll are in accord with other polls, that many-
worlds is most popular amongst scientists who may rather loosely be
described as string theorists or quantum gravitists/cosmologists. It
is less popular amongst the wider scientific community who mostly remain
in ignorance of it.” http://www.anthropic-principle.com/preprints/manyworlds.html
non-local interpretations of QM have been shown to be unphysical: http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9906007

It seems a little rich to associate Gell-Mann with Many Worlds, since he helped develop the Consistent Histories formalism.

EDIT: Just noticed how old the poll was. Still, though, it's worth noting that he's evidently changed his views significantly.

Physics news on Phys.org
know this thread is damn old but anyway...
none of you guys remembered to mention 1997 poll where Copenhagen won and minor 2000 one when MWI was last:smile:

for everyhting else i do not know but i do know that the part about matter well electrons effecting other across the universe is possible its known as "string theory"
quddusaliquddus said:
I found a website that says:

"The still-dominant "Copenhagen interpretation" of Quantum Theory developed by Niels Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, Wolfgang Pauli, and others says two basic things:

1. Reality is identical with the totality of observed phenomena (which means reality does not exist in the absence of observation), and
2. Quantum mechanics is a complete description of reality; no deeper understanding is possible."

Is it true that the "Copenhagen interpretation" of Quantum Theory is the dominant theory?

And is number 1 and 2 true?

Is it also true that the 'rules' of the Universe seem to change reflect the 'maths'.

Is it also true that Non-Locality (defined as phenomenon that occurrences on one side of the Universe can instantly effect 'matter' on the other side of the Universe) happens? (Im not sure if 'happens' is the correct word to use here.

also i beliave in the many worlds theory but the many minds theory I am not sure about its true we all exist on a certain level of consciousnees but could they be altered or many for that matter who knows

Interesting... In MWI, or "pure" QM + decoherence any measurement, in principle, can be "undone" (even it is difficult to do). Hence, it can be experimentally proven that CI is wrong.

setAI said:
non-local interpretations of QM have been shown to be unphysical: http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9906007

Wrong. Nothing in this paper shows any problem for pilot wave theories or other non-local interpretations.

kvantti said:
I have a question that I'm confused with. It's about the delayed quantum eraser experiment [http://www.bottomlayer.com/bottom/kim-scully/kim-scully-web.htm].

According to Copenhagen interpretation, wouldn't the superposition of the second photon collapse at every interaction it has with the measuring apparatus? That would be, with the PS, BSA, BSB and the "eraser" BS. And yet, if the quantum information of the which path information is lost, it would seem to us that the photon went thru both slits; even tho it had to interact with the beam splitters to get to the eraser.

The result is consistent with the HUP, but for me this seems to be a failure of the copenhagen interpretation... unless I'm confusing something.

Delayed choice experiments are no problem for Copenhagen, because in Copenhagen a measurement is only a measurement after macroscopic amplification. Once the choice is delayed, we conclude that the measurement in the Copenhagen sense is delayed too.

Ilja

Any theory or interpretation can be valid forever, if it is not limited by the number of assumptions.
Ptolemeus geocentryc system can be valid now if we admit ANY number of epycircles and other parameters.
Copenhagen interpretation can be valid forever, if it is not limited by the number of assumptions.

Good point... Copenhagen is a total mess of epycircles :)
Macroscopic systems built from microscopic particles. At the same time properties of these microscopic particles are defined based on the macroscopic measurements. Dead recursion, no hope for any axiomatisation. Fuzzy definitions for 'what is macroscopic'? 'what is a measurement'? what is a 'knowledge?' Epycircles everywhere :)

The Copenhagen Interpretation is a "for-all-practical-purposes" interpretation (and an interpretation nonetheless). It simply takes into account that if we don't have the experiment or other sustainable proof for it, then it is left to interpretation; and for the most part, since the Quantum Theory works out very well, "for-all-practical-purposes" we may leave the question to interpretation for the time being.

As i know there are many other interpretations.
For example Plank - De Broigle interpretation (zpe/zpf: see Google search). Even Shroedinger equation can be deduced from this interpretation (De Broigle wave is Doppler shift of vibrating particle in zpf).

I always interpreted spontaneous emission as induced emission in zpf and it was very useful for quantum calculations :)

And by now Copenhagen and ZPF interpretations give equal numbers :)

Last edited:
setAI said:
the only interpretation of QM that succesfully predicts quantum computing is the MWI- Deutsch has DEFINED quantum computation as computation across parallel universes-

the experimental evidence of quantum computation- specifically independant CNOT operations carried out in parallel on single photons- physically demonstrates the MWI- and demonstrates that non-multiverse interpretations are unphysical- according to the leaders of the field-

as I have said before- this is all rather recent- but I guarantee you within 5-10 years the physical verification of the MWI will be in all the texbooks- from that point Copenhagen and Hidden Variable interpretations will only be historical footnotes-

Qunatum Mechanics IS the physics of parallel universes

I thought that MWI caused problems with quantum computation because of quantum decoherence?

Doesn't this research show an objective reality? Also doesn't MWI reject an objective reality?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090304091231.htm

On the contrary, MWI is one of few interprettions where wefunction is REAL
Regarding Hardy's experiment there is nothing new except the experimetal part of it
About "I thought that MWI caused problems with quantum computation because of quantum decoherence?" - I don't know what you are talking about, but there is no known way to tell one interpretation from another, so if it would 'cause problems' then there will be a way to do it -> Nobels prize :)

I don't accept that the MWI is a necessarily favoured alternative to the Copenhagen interpretation,and I would like to hear how others view Cramer's Transactional interpretation and also the Bohm alternative.