Copenhagen: Restriction on knowledge or restriction on ontology?

In summary: But if they're genuinely random then they can't be observed, so they must exist in some sense outside of observation.
Pleonasm said:
It's a paradox if you don't have a warped view of physical reality (at least by classical standards)
You can replicate the paradox in a purely Classical model. See Spekkens toy model:
https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0401052

Physics news on Phys.org
DarMM said:
He thought the Schrodinger's cat thought experiment was an irrevocable problem for the Copenhagen interpretation before either that interpretation or the thought experiment existed?

Looks like he took a retrocausal view. :wink:

" It was, however, rejected by Planck, as well as Schrödinger and Laue. Even Einstein had rejected Bohr's interpretation. Planck called Heisenberg's matrix mechanics "disgusting," but he gave the Schrödinger equation a warmer reception. He expected that wave mechanics would soon render quantum theory—his own brainchild—unnecessary."

This is the same Max Plank who accepted the theory of relativity long before it was empirically verified or even understood by the scientific community.

Not exactly a dogmatic scientist. But believe the Copenhagen interpretation if you like:-p

Pleonasm said:
This is the same Max Plank who accepted the theory of relativity long before it was empirically verified or even understood by the scientific community.

Not exactly a dogmatic scientist. But believe the Copenhagen interpretation if you like:-p
I never said I did, but I have read proper accounts of it and know that Schrodinger's cat poses no issues. Again a similar "paradox" shows up in epistemic states of purely Classical theories. See Spekkens toy model I linked to above.

You also haven't pointed out an actual issue with the interpretation. Just quoted various physicists stating they had a problem. What is the actual issue with reference to a proper account of the interpretation. For example in the Leifer lectures I linked to which of the four assumptions of the interpretation do you disagree with?

DarMM said:
You also haven't pointed out an actual issue with the interpretation.

I have the same views as those expressed by Weinberg at 6:00.

Pleonasm said:
I have the same views as those expressed by Weinberg at 6:00.
Can you refer to a systematic scientific account and not short offhand expositions and quotes? Very simply look at Leifer's four principles and say what ones you disagree with.

Pleonasm said:
"The Copenhagen interpretation is basically nonsense". "No thoughtful person still holds to it"

Sean Carroll: at 1:50:30
I think that believing in Copenhagen is similar to believing that free will does not exist. Nobody can really believe it in practice, but it is possible to believe it in deep abstract academic thoughts.

Demystifier said:
I think that believing in Copenhagen is similar to believing that free will does not exist. Nobody can really believe it in practice, but it is possible to believe it in deep abstract academic thoughts.
Which part in particular is like this? The no hidden variables I assume.

DarMM said:
Which part in particular is like this? The no hidden variables I assume.
No reality until observed.

Demystifier said:

How do you mean that nobody can disbelieve free will in practise? Deep abstract thought? May I refer you to classical mechanics of which we are apart of? Add to that the heat factor due to our brains and it is a clock-work existence in the making.

Demystifier said:

It doesn't really say that, does it? The particles are in two states at the same time, that's not the same as not existing. We may call it that due to the law of contradiction, but it really is just as much external reality just weirder, if true.

Pleonasm said:
How do you mean that nobody can disbelieve free will in practise?
We all think that we can do something (e.g. make discussions on this forum) if we decide so.

Demystifier said:
We all think that we can do something (e.g. make discussions on this forum) if we decide so.

And we do. It is an illusion however that we could have done otherwise. but we still made a personal decision decided by our biological brain states. It is our actions.

You could always complain about the fact that you were determined to do X instead of Y. But i don't see which world view get's you out of the deterministic rabbit hole. You could might as well complain that you are randomly determined to do X instead of y

Pleonasm said:
It is an illusion however that we could have done otherwise.
Yes, but the illusion is so strong that nobody really thinks that way when one is doing something.

Demystifier said:
I think it would be more accurate to say no values for observables until observation. That is not the same as denying reality.

DarMM said:
I think it would be more accurate to say no values for observables until observation. That is not the same as denying reality.

Perhaps plural values is more accurate. There are values, they just aren't fixed.

Thread closed pending moderation.

<h2>1. What is the Copenhagen interpretation?</h2><p>The Copenhagen interpretation is a popular and widely accepted interpretation of quantum mechanics, developed by Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg in the 1920s. It states that the act of measurement or observation collapses the wave function of a quantum system, determining its state and properties.</p><h2>2. How does the Copenhagen interpretation restrict knowledge?</h2><p>The Copenhagen interpretation suggests that we can never have complete knowledge or understanding of the quantum world, as our observations and measurements are limited and can only give us probabilistic outcomes. This means that we can never know the exact state of a quantum system, only the likelihood of it being in a certain state.</p><h2>3. Does the Copenhagen interpretation restrict ontology?</h2><p>Yes, the Copenhagen interpretation can be seen as restricting ontology, as it suggests that reality is fundamentally indeterminate and that the properties of quantum systems do not exist until they are observed or measured. This goes against the traditional view of a deterministic and objective reality.</p><h2>4. Are there alternative interpretations to the Copenhagen interpretation?</h2><p>Yes, there are several alternative interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Many-Worlds interpretation, the Pilot-Wave theory, and the Transactional interpretation. These interpretations offer different explanations for the behavior of quantum systems and do not necessarily involve the collapse of the wave function.</p><h2>5. How does the Copenhagen interpretation impact scientific research?</h2><p>The Copenhagen interpretation has had a significant impact on the development of quantum mechanics and continues to shape our understanding of the quantum world. It has also sparked debates and discussions about the nature of reality and the limitations of human knowledge and perception. However, it does not necessarily restrict scientific research, as it is still a useful and widely accepted framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.</p>

1. What is the Copenhagen interpretation?

The Copenhagen interpretation is a popular and widely accepted interpretation of quantum mechanics, developed by Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg in the 1920s. It states that the act of measurement or observation collapses the wave function of a quantum system, determining its state and properties.

2. How does the Copenhagen interpretation restrict knowledge?

The Copenhagen interpretation suggests that we can never have complete knowledge or understanding of the quantum world, as our observations and measurements are limited and can only give us probabilistic outcomes. This means that we can never know the exact state of a quantum system, only the likelihood of it being in a certain state.

3. Does the Copenhagen interpretation restrict ontology?

Yes, the Copenhagen interpretation can be seen as restricting ontology, as it suggests that reality is fundamentally indeterminate and that the properties of quantum systems do not exist until they are observed or measured. This goes against the traditional view of a deterministic and objective reality.

4. Are there alternative interpretations to the Copenhagen interpretation?

Yes, there are several alternative interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Many-Worlds interpretation, the Pilot-Wave theory, and the Transactional interpretation. These interpretations offer different explanations for the behavior of quantum systems and do not necessarily involve the collapse of the wave function.

5. How does the Copenhagen interpretation impact scientific research?

The Copenhagen interpretation has had a significant impact on the development of quantum mechanics and continues to shape our understanding of the quantum world. It has also sparked debates and discussions about the nature of reality and the limitations of human knowledge and perception. However, it does not necessarily restrict scientific research, as it is still a useful and widely accepted framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.