Coplanar vectors problem

• Thread starter yourmom98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the problem asks us to determine if the vectors W1, W2, and W3 are coplanar. To do this, we need to show that they are linearly dependent, which means there exists a non-trivial solution to the equation (2\alpha-\gamma)V_1+ (3\alpha+ \beta)V_2+ (3\beta- 3\gamma)V_3= 0. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and solving for the variables \alpha, \beta, \gamma. If there exists a solution other than \alpha= \beta= \gamma= 0, then the vectors are coplanar. Otherwise, they are not coplan
yourmom98
The numbers in brackets are supposed to be in subscript so V(2) would be V subscript 2 and the number in front is just multiply, all the variables are vectors so they have a arrow on top.

Determine if,
W(1) = 2V(1) + 3V(2) , W(2) = V(2) + 2V(3) and W(3) = -V(1) - 3V(3) are coplanar

i don't understand how to do this. i tried to use the property that if they are coplanar therefore they also must be colinear therefore [Note: C is the only variable that is not a vector it is a unknown integer.]
C(1)W(1) + C(2)W(2)...etc = 0 but i can't think of how that would resolve am i on the right track?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yourmom98 said:
i tried to use the property that if they are coplanar therefore they also must be colinear
If they are coplanar then all three lie in the same plane. If they are collinear then all three lie in the same line. Do every three vectors that lie in the same plane have to lie along the same line?

What you probably meant was linearly dependent. To show that they are linearly dependent, you have to show that your equation has a solution for the C's where the C's are not all 0. Just substitute in the definition of the W's and solve. I assume that the question asks whether the W's are coplanar for ALL choice of the V's, so you need to determine whether there is some choice of C's such that each of the V's in the equation cancels to 0.

But i can't solve it there are too many variables.

i subbed in the values for W vectors and then i expanded it so now i have like C(1)V(1)+C(1)V(2) etc.. then i added up all the V(1) vectors and ended with sumthing like V(1)[C(1)+C(2)]=0 then that led me to
[C(1)+C(2)]=0 cause C would be the number of V and for it to be zero they would have to cancel out. i did the same for all of the V's now i have a set of these i can't solve it... there are to many variables

From what you've described there aren't too many variables. Assume that the V's are nonzero (i.e. sufficiently general--the problem is not very well defined as you've stated it, so I'm assuming it means for any V's). Then you have
V(1)[C(1)+C(2)]=0
implies
C(1) + C(2) = 0
Though actually the equation you should have for V(1) is
V(1)[2C(1) - C(3)] = 0

Last edited:
Do you mean you don't know how to do 3 equations in 3 unknowns?

You want to show that W1 = 2V1 + 3V2 , W2 = V2 + 2V3, and W3 = -V1 - 3V3 are coplanar.

Three vectors are coplanar if and only if they are dependent- that is if there exist some non-trivial ([tex]\alpha[/tex], [tex]\beta[/tex], [tex]\gamma[/tex] not all equal to 0) such that the linear combination
[tex]\alpha W_1+ \beta W_2+ \gamma W_3= 0[/tex]
[tex]\alpha(2V_1+ 3V_2)+ \beta(V_2+ 2V_3)+ \gamma(-V_1- 3V_3)= 0[/tex]
[tex](2\alpha-\gamma)V_1+ (3\alpha+ \beta)V_2+ (3\beta- 3\gamma)V_3= 0[/tex]

My first thought was that we would need to know more about V1, V2, and V3 but I don't think we do. If V1, V2, and V3 are themselves dependent, then they are coplanar and any linear combination of them is coplanar. So the only question is if V1, V2, and V3 are independent vectors.

If V1, V2, and V3 are independent then in order to have
[tex](2\alpha-\gamma)V_1+ (3\alpha+ \beta)V_2+ (3\beta- 3\gamma)V_3= 0[/tex]
we must have
[tex]2\alpha- \gamma= 0[/tex]
[tex]3\alpha+ \beta= 0[/tex]
[tex]3\beta- 3\gamma= 0[/tex]
The three vectors W1, W2, and W3 are coplanar if and only if there exist solutions to those equations other than
[tex]\alpha= \beta= \gamma= 0[/tex]

1. What are coplanar vectors?

Coplanar vectors are vectors that lie in the same plane. This means that they are parallel to each other and do not intersect. They can be represented by arrows pointing in the same direction or in opposite directions.

2. How do you determine if vectors are coplanar?

To determine if vectors are coplanar, you can use two methods: geometric or algebraic. Geometrically, you can plot the vectors on a graph and see if they lie in the same plane. Algebraically, you can use the cross product of two vectors. If the cross product is equal to zero, then the vectors are coplanar.

3. What is the significance of coplanar vectors?

Coplanar vectors are important in many areas of science and engineering. They are used in physics to represent forces, in geometry to solve problems involving triangles and polygons, and in computer graphics to create 3D animations.

4. How do you solve a coplanar vectors problem?

To solve a coplanar vectors problem, you can use trigonometric functions, vector addition and subtraction, and properties of parallel and perpendicular lines. It is important to set up a coordinate system and label all vectors correctly before beginning the problem.

5. Can non-coplanar vectors be added together?

No, non-coplanar vectors cannot be added together because they do not lie in the same plane. However, they can still be subtracted from each other and their components can be added or subtracted separately.