1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coplanar vectors

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    Two free vectors are always coplanar.

Then if A and B are free vectors, are A, B, and A+B all coplanar in all cases?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes.
    Any two vectors that start from the same point (you can assume that they start from the origin) determine a plane. Any linear combination of these vectors (including 1*A + 1*B) also lies in that same plane.

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3
    Cool.

How about this:

If two vectors are linearly dependent, they are collinear. They are always coplanar.

If three vectors are linearly dependent, they are coplanar. Three vectors are always all co"cubeular" (I don't know a word like coplanar for a three dimensional object.)

Based on this pattern, it correct to say that:

If n vectors are linearly dependent, then they are co(n-1 space object) and are always co(n space object).

Since for two vectors, an n-1 space object is a line, for three it is a plane, and so on.

Am I making sense?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  5. Aug 28, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes. If two vectors are linearly dependent, then each is a nonzero scalar multiple of the other.
    They could be collinear, depending on which vectors we're talking about.
    I don't believe there is any special terminalogy beyond coplanar.
    Yes, I get what you're saying, but as I said, I don't believe there is any terminology beyond coplanar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook