Complex Analysis: Sin z, Branch Cuts & e^z

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of branch cuts in complex numbers and their use in restricting multivalued functions to a single value. It also clarifies the difference between exp and log functions and how log needs a branch cut to be well defined. The connection between branch cuts and the discontinuity in arg(z) on the negative real axis is also explained.
latentcorpse
(i) can someone explain why sin z isn't bounded if z is complex

(ii) also can someone explain how branch cuts work and what their use is? I've been sitting in tutorials wondering what's going on for the last few weeks!

(iii) does [itex]e^z[/itex] have a branch cut?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, work out what sin(x+iy) is in terms of real functions of x and y. Branch cuts are ways of restricting the selecting part of the complex plane so that a 'function' that would be multiple valued (like sqrt(z), if z^2=y then also (-z)^2=y) can be restricted to a single value (a branch). Is e^z one of those cases where there are multiple values of y such that y=e^z?

ok:
(i) [itex]\sin(x+iy)=i[\sin{x} \cosh{y} + \cos{x} \sinh{y}][/itex] which diverges due to the hyperbolic trig functions and hence can't be bounded-is that ok?

(ii)so if we have some f(z) that is multivalued i.e. there is more than one z that produces the same value of f(z) then is it true that these different values of z are the different "branches"?
and so we restrict the copmlex plane in such a way so that we only have one value of z that corresponds to that f(z)-this is essentially cutting out the branches we don't want -are these true - leaving us with the "principal" branch?

(iii)in my notes, when it starts talking about this it first discusses how we get a discontinuity in arg(z) on the negative real axis - what is the connection between this and the branches?

(iv)for [itex]z=|z|e^{i \theta}[/itex], when we choose the principal argument is that essentialy a branch cut?

(v)for the example you give,
[itex]f(z)=|z|^{\frac{1}{2}}e^{i \frac{\theta}{2}}[/itex] and so for [itex]\theta \rightarrow \theta + 4k \pi , k \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex], we get different branches - we make a branch cut by restricting the argument to a value in the interval [itex] \left[-\pi,\pi \right] [/itex] - is that true?

(vi)[itex]e^z=e^{x+iy}=e^x(\cos{y}=i \sin{y})[/itex] - is it true that [itex]y \rightarrow y + 2 \pi[/itex] would give the same value and so this is a multivalued function and therefore has multiple branches?

i) your expansion sin(z) is a bit off. cos(iy)=cosh(y), not i*cosh(y), but your conclusion is correct. And yes, a branch cut let's you define a single valued function from a multiple values 'function', by selecting a uniform choice of one of the values. For the rest of your questions, you seem to be confusing exp and log. It's true that exp(z)=exp(z+2*pi*i). But that doesn't mean exp(z) is multivalued, it means that its inverse, log, is multivalued. log needs a branch cut to be well defined, not exp(z).

why does it need a branch cut to be well defined?

also can u explain point (iii) in post 3?

Because I could define log(1) to be either 0 or 2*pi*i among other choices. Defining log(|z|*exp(i*arg(z))=log(|z|)+i*arg(z). The first case corresponds to picking arg(1)=0 and the second to arg(1)=2*pi. They are both equally valid choices. If I extend the arg continuously in the first case, when I approach the negative real axis by circling ABOVE the origin I wind up near arg(z)=pi. When I circle BELOW I wind up near arg(z)=-pi. They don't match. So I cut out the negative real axis from the domain and don't worry about it. Starting with 2*pi gives me another branch of the log.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex numbers. It involves the study of how these functions behave and how they can be manipulated using techniques such as differentiation, integration, and power series. It has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What is the sine function in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, the sine function is defined as sin z = (eiz - e-iz)/2i, where z is a complex number. It is an extension of the real-valued sine function and has similar properties such as periodicity and oddness.

3. What are branch cuts in complex analysis?

Branch cuts are discontinuities or breaks in the domain of a complex function, where the function becomes multivalued. They are usually represented as line segments on a complex plane and are used to define different branches of a multivalued function. They are important in understanding the behavior of functions such as logarithms and roots.

4. How are branch cuts related to the complex logarithm function?

The complex logarithm function is multivalued, meaning it has multiple branches. Branch cuts are used to define these branches and determine the values of the function. They are typically drawn as line segments connecting points on the negative real axis to the origin on the complex plane.

5. What is the function ez in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, the function ez is known as the exponential function. It is defined as the infinite sum ez = 1 + z + (z2/2!) + (z3/3!) + ..., where z is a complex number. It has important properties such as being its own derivative and being periodic with a period of 2πi.