Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Copper carbonate

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    If I made an electroyte with water and sodium bicarbonate and then electrolised it with copper electrodes would it produce copper carbonate on one of the electrodes?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

More like basic carbonate.

4. Nov 28, 2014 #3
    You sure?

5. Nov 28, 2014 #4

Borek

Yes. Preparing pure carbon carbonate is quite tricky.

6. Jan 13, 2015 #5
    If someone is looking at this later,I tryed it and it worked great.Made rather pure copper carbonate until it ran out of electrolyte ( then copper hydroxide was made slowly).Turned to copper oxide nicely too

7. Jan 13, 2015 #6

Borek

And what method have you used to check the purity of the product?

8. Jan 16, 2015 #7
    I didnt check how pure it is , but since it turned to copper oxide(mixed with hcl to test) I conclude its pretty pure.

9. Jan 16, 2015 #8

Borek

Please elaborate, I don't understand what you did.

Besides, I have a feeling whatever you did would yield identical result if you were to use a basic copper carbonate.

10. Jan 16, 2015 #9
    Now I you wrote carbon carbonate and now im confused.So I'm gonna start over:This is how I got the whole thing I ask will it make copper cabonate, you say it will make just carbonate(even tho that doesnt really exist), i do it, i make copper carbonate , i heat it up it turns black(becomes copper oxide), i test it with HCl and find out that it is copper oxide.

11. Jan 16, 2015 #10

Borek

"Copper carbonate" and "basic copper carbonate" are two different chemical compounds. Basic carbonate is easy to prepare (and it is the green patina you see on the copper), copper carbonate is tricky to prepare (as in typical reactions in water you will produce the basic carbonate).

Both carbonate and basic carbonate decompose on heating producing copper oxide.

To make sure what you made you should precisely measure what is the copper percentage in your product, as that's the simplest to check difference between both compounds.

12. Jan 16, 2015 #11
    Ok ,I undestand, Then i guess i did make the basic one, but it works good for me

13. Feb 2, 2015 #12

NascentOxygen

I daresay it is.

14. Feb 2, 2015 #13

NascentOxygen

One of the plates stayed clean, and bubbled off H2? How did the other one change?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook