Copper contacts 1200amp rating

In summary, the person is designing a grounding assembly for a high voltage switch and needs to determine the appropriate contacts to handle 1200amps. They mention that the contacts are U-shaped and a flat copper conductor bar rotates into them for connection. They are seeking a reference or information on sizing the contacts, and also ask if increasing the surface area will decrease the amount of heat at the connection. They are advised to reach out to a knowledgeable member on a forum for more assistance.
CruiserFJ62
I am in the process of designing a grounding assembly for a high voltage switch and need to determine what contacts will handle 1200amps. The contacts are U-shaped and a flat copper conductor bar rotates into the U-shaped contact to make the connection. Can anyone point me to a reference or give me info on sizing the contacts? To decrease the amount of heat at the connection do I need more surface area?

Engineering news on Phys.org
CruiserFJ62 said:
I am in the process of designing a grounding assembly for a high voltage switch and need to determine what contacts will handle 1200amps. The contacts are U-shaped and a flat copper conductor bar rotates into the U-shaped contact to make the connection. Can anyone point me to a reference or give me info on sizing the contacts? To decrease the amount of heat at the connection do I need more surface area?

You might send a PM to m.s.j -- he seems to be pretty experienced in high-power stuff like that:

https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=84682

1. What does "1200amp rating" mean for copper contacts?

The 1200amp rating for copper contacts refers to the maximum amount of electrical current that the contacts can safely carry without overheating or sustaining damage.

2. How are copper contacts with a 1200amp rating used?

Copper contacts with a 1200amp rating are commonly used in high-power electrical applications, such as industrial machinery, power distribution systems, and heavy-duty equipment.

3. What makes copper a suitable material for high ampacity contacts?

Copper is an ideal material for high ampacity contacts due to its excellent electrical conductivity, low resistance, and high melting point. It also has good thermal conductivity, allowing it to dissipate heat effectively.

4. Are there any limitations to using copper contacts with a 1200amp rating?

While copper contacts with a 1200amp rating are suitable for many high-power applications, they may not be suitable for extremely high current requirements or in environments with extreme temperatures or corrosive substances.

5. How can I ensure the longevity of copper contacts with a 1200amp rating?

To ensure the longevity of copper contacts with a 1200amp rating, it is important to properly maintain and clean them regularly. It is also crucial to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and avoid exceeding the maximum ampacity rating to prevent damage or failure.