Solving "Grey Compound" Mystery: Copper + (KI + I2) = ?

• Thread starter jk_olivo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper
In summary, The "Grey Compound" Mystery is the formation of a grey precipitate when copper is mixed with a combination of potassium iodide (KI) and iodine (I2). It is caused by a chemical reaction between copper and the iodine ions in the potassium iodide solution. This mystery can be solved by conducting experiments to determine the exact reaction occurring. It is important for understanding chemical reactions and has potential practical applications. Possible future research includes studying the properties and potential uses of the copper iodide compound and investigating the reaction mechanism and factors influencing its formation.
jk_olivo
Copper + (KI + I2) = ?

Hi all,

I have put some copper (60um - electroplated on a gold seed layer of 100nm) in the following solution: KI + I2
The copper is still there, but is now covered by a thick layer of a "grey compound"... Huh

I'm really dummy in chemistry... can you help me to find out the formula of that compound ?
How can I remove it without destroy the copper ?

Thanks a lot!

Chemistry news on Phys.org

What was underneath the gold and how do you know the copper layer is still there?

1. What is the "Grey Compound" Mystery?

The "Grey Compound" Mystery refers to the formation of a grey precipitate when copper is mixed with a combination of potassium iodide (KI) and iodine (I2).

2. What causes the formation of the grey compound?

The grey compound is formed due to a chemical reaction between copper and the iodine ions in the potassium iodide solution. This reaction results in the formation of a copper iodide compound, which appears grey in color.

3. How can the "Grey Compound" Mystery be solved?

The "Grey Compound" Mystery can be solved by conducting a series of experiments to determine the exact chemical reaction that is occurring. This involves varying the amounts of each reactant and observing the resulting color and properties of the compound formed.

4. Why is the "Grey Compound" Mystery important?

The "Grey Compound" Mystery is important because it can help scientists better understand chemical reactions and their mechanisms. It can also have practical applications, such as in the development of new materials or in the purification of copper.

5. What are some possible future research directions for the "Grey Compound" Mystery?

Future research on the "Grey Compound" Mystery could include studying the properties and potential uses of the copper iodide compound formed. Additionally, further investigations into the reaction mechanism and factors that influence the formation of the grey compound could provide valuable insights into chemical reactions and their kinetics.